This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, was running some testing.

You raise a hand, beckoning towards the shadows, they begin to twist and forminto a gateway through
    which you can see an image of Hergazo Road.

Commander David grabs your arm locking it into an uncomfortable position.

You try to twist your way out of the lock.

You have recovered balance.

enter gateway

You step through a gateway into the realm of shadows for a moment before
    reappearing at Hergazo Road.

This being shown, HOW CAN I ENTER A GATE? This will in fact effect me but I'm trying to figure out a way around people running via gating. If someone has a hold on your arm you couldn't enter the gateway until you either broke from the lock or you took them along, at least that seems logical. Not so much them following you cause you could just as easily be gating into your city but I would think this should stop them.
    Last edited by roeshak; 7 May 2012, 02:26 PM.
    Commander Joscelin says, "Sup puppets."
    A marionette bashes Commander Joscelin with its heavy wooden fists.

Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "For nineteen minutes I liked you"

Comment

• You should raise a gateway to somewhere else entirely just to mess with them.

Realism has never been taken into account for skills/mechanics in Akanbar, afaik.

Comment

• Originally posted by David View Post
        All in all...guilds are fairly balance as I have never struggled in any. I think some need improving a tiny bit...but nothing crazy drastic
        You've never been a pyromancer, have you?
        We don't need no water, ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Chyren View Post
          Realism has never been taken into account for skills/mechanics in Akanbar, afaik.
          Lies, I kill bears in my spare time with my fisticuffs all the time

Originally posted by Malic View Post
          Or a Forsaken! There guild is based off running you out of clotting. That's pretty much it.

Side note (Or maybe the current forsaken just do not know the true meaning of a forsaken fighter))
          Be wary of anything given to you by Jaethor, it will probably kill you someday

Comment

• Originally posted by Malic View Post
            Well....Pyromancers fall into the category of needing changes...probably the most out of any. They lack damage that Shaman/Wardens have from their regular attack. They have burn damage, but is negated by any type of rain or swimming done. In bashes, their damage is very noticeable as they do less/no burn damage increase/or cannot have their spirit attack npcs.

Needed Change:

Slight increase in main damage output perhaps more on par with the current Shaman damage, but not as great as a Warden attack?
            Spirits allowed to attack npcs

Maybe change:

How Spirit Grasp works, it is silly to have it be the same time each breakout

Forsaken is another one that falls into this category with the lack of damage.....yes people can say people don't know how to utilize a Forsaken these days...but these days have changed from days when I was a novice when they had increased healing and seemed to not miss as much as they do these days.

Needed Change:

When perhaps they miss, they still perhaps graze the person with their claws causing slight damage? Perhaps half of their normal damage

Runesmiths just seem to be a bit too powerful at early stages being able to replicate what a unsurp Warden with Tempestry/dragonlore at Proficient Runelore. I think display of a death rune for the power it gives should be reduced to a swing of a sword/pike.

Needed change:

Better afflictions
            lessen speed of display of death rune

As a novice(outside of being an exceptional basher of course)...it's hard being in this guild, I always felt that it should have a way of traveling like a small form of gateway.
            Being able to split ores to make runes, I know this would put Golgonath and Ysallyra at odds on how easily Elysium could get runes....but they are Runesmiths and I don't think this aspect was fully embraced because it's crazy expensive for a Runesmith to craft runes.

Shaman I really don't know much about, but from what I remember they fall into a medium category of what the Pyromancers suffer through. Their damage isn't quite the damage of a Warden, but yet they are not weaker than a Pyromancer.

Needed Change:

Slight damage increase

The rest of the guilds I feel can kill any guild.....again just my personal opinion and what I've experienced over the years. The fact is, I am not really here as much as I would like to at this present time. I do feel that these guilds are slightly weaker than the rest of the guilds in Akanbar....in particular the Pyromancers moreso than any other guild.
            Last edited by David; 8 May 2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• Shaman are an odd guild.
              Hand of Eden does more damage to NPC's than rockstrike. certain skills over effect the skills they have, not going into details but its a guild that needs some looking into as well.

Comment

Well....Pyromancers fall into the category of needing changes...probably the most out of any. They lack damage that Shaman/Wardens have from their regular attack. They have burn damage, but is negated by any type of rain or swimming done. In bashes, their damage is very noticeable as they do less/no burn damage increase/or cannot have their spirit attack npcs.

Needed Change:

Slight increase in main damage output perhaps more on par with the current Shaman damage, but not as great as a Warden attack?
                Spirits allowed to attack npcs

Maybe change:

How Spirit Grasp works, it is silly to have it be the same time each breakout
                The damage on fireball is pretty lackluster, especially once you get unsurp resilience, but if someone has something below knowledgeable resilience? You can do a lot of damage pretty quickly. Maybe just tweak the formula so it's more of a base damage and less of a factor to take into account resilience?

Originally posted by David View Post
                Forsaken is another one that falls into this category with the lack of damage.....yes people can say people don't know how to utilize a Forsaken these days...but these days have changed from days when I was a novice when they had increased healing and seemed to not miss as much as they do these days.

Needed Change:

When perhaps they miss, they still perhaps graze the person with their claws causing slight damage? Perhaps half of their normal damage
                Forsaken suffer from the same thing other one-affliction-per-attack guilds do - Once you know those cures, they aren't a problem. You aren't going to be hindered by seizures, or a hook/daze combo, or a hook/choke. If we want to make them about being a damage guild, there has to be a reliable way to hinder healing to some degree. Waiting for someone to run out of clotting is, right now, one of those ways, though a very long wait at times.

Runesmiths just seem to be a bit too powerful at early stages being able to replicate what a unsurp Warden with Tempestry/dragonlore at Proficient Runelore. I think display of a death rune for the power it gives should be reduced to a swing of a sword/pike.

Needed change:

Better afflictions
                lessen speed of display of death rune

As a novice(outside of being an exceptional basher of course)...it's hard being in this guild, I always felt that it should have a way of traveling like a small form of gateway.
                Being able to split ores to make runes, I know this would put Golgonath and Ysallyra at odds on how easily Elysium could get runes....but they are Runesmiths and I don't think this aspect was fully embraced because it's crazy expensive for a Runesmith to craft runes.
                I've brought up the damage of death rune before and, if I'm not mistaken, it was already nerfed slightly a while back. Needing gateway is utility/quality of life change and likely not needed. I'm not opposed to Runesmiths being able to make 2 runes per ore, though any more and it would become really lucrative.

The rest of the guilds I feel can kill any guild.....again just my personal opinion and what I've experienced over the years. The fact is, I am not really here as much as I would like to at this present time. I do feel that these guilds are slightly weaker than the rest of the guilds in Akanbar....in particular the Pyromancers moreso than any other guild.
                I'm not sure if the Forsaken or Runesmiths could be considered 'weaker' than the rest of the guilds as people have had massive success with either guild, but they are a little gimped in different areas. The Pyromancers? Yeah, they're probably the most in need of some love. Just my thoughts on David's post to help foster some discussion, he has more experience with Runesmiths than I do by far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chyren View Post
                  Forsaken suffer from the same thing other one-affliction-per-attack guilds do - Once you know those cures, they aren't a problem. You aren't going to be hindered by seizures, or a hook/daze combo, or a hook/choke. If we want to make them about being a damage guild, there has to be a reliable way to hinder healing to some degree. Waiting for someone to run out of clotting is, right now, one of those ways, though a very long wait at times.
                  Oh, how I wish something could be done with Psionics.

Sob.
                  Zycandos and Jaethor's karaoke rendition of 'I Feel Pretty'.

Jaethor goes solo with 'The Sound of Music'.

Minstrel Sharallin sings: "The lord of revenants is a withered man, sunken by age and evil. But his blood is sweet, say the young men - and they should know?"
                  Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "((Stop breaking Akanbar.))"

Comment

• I am glad we agree on the Pyromancers though, fighting a Templar for them is about the saddest event to watch in Akanbar. There sub-par damage gets cut even more-so and used against them, biggest fail I think I've ever seen. For record, I was speaking on a larger scale....I remember one Pyromancer who trained nothing but Pyromancy and had great success in doing so. The issue is and always has been when the person against you has unsurpassable resilience.

It is a bit of a oxymoron? For me to call Runesmiths weak, but I do know they aren't the best guild for people that aren't all unsurp/ready to dominate/etc/etc....so that is why I put them into a weaker category truthfully. I just don't see how a Pyromancer/mage type can do less damage at their fully mastered skill than a Runesmith with Proficient Runelore.

I think you have something if I am understanding you right. What if a Forsaken could by chance cripple their foes healing for very short period of times? Maybe have a affliction that works similar to force rune(that wears away after time) That restricts a person from being able to enjoy a full heal?

Idea:
                    What if a blood leech is formed and thrown at their opponent restricting the person's healing by 10-20%? Just an idea and wouldn't really solve all the

Comment

• Briefly skimmed over the magic related posts and if this, lightning > earth > fire, is correct I think i have a plausible solution along the same lines of logic/intuition that I showed to David at one point.

I'm gonna set some groundwork here, just to solidify my logic slightly.
                      Resilience is the skill and ability to resist various forms of magical attack. Those being currently lightning, earth and fire. The higher your resilience, the less damage etc.

Think of your resilience as like a dinner plate fixed in a vise and behind that is a melon. Fire is a blunt, unfocused magical energy, you throw it and it'll hit, and explode (i think that's what fireballs do). All that energy that -could- go towards more damage is wasted in other ways.
                      Plate is scorched, but otherwise fine and still in one piece. Melon is fine too.

Throwing a rock at it however is different, the rock itself isn't magical. The shaman is just using magic to rip it out of the ground and throw it at you. It's still a rock, it's not really conjured out of thin air/ether/the ninth circle of hell. It's in the ground. It's a rock.
                      The rock's energy is more focused than the fire. A natural edge, point, or just the sheer mass of the rock will break the plate, or at the very least crack it. Melon is either bashed, or bruised.

Lightning is a whole other matter. Like fire it is raw magical energy, but this time it's focused to a point, and not allowed to deviate very much from its current form. All of its energy is fixed on one point, it'll punch through the plate with little to no resistance (that's a bad choice of word on a few levels...) and probably pop the melon like a balloon.
                      Plate's got a smoking hole in it, and there's melon chunks all over the place.

TL;DR Lightning does so much damage because it's focused energy. Rocks hurt more cause they're blunt, and somewhat mundane. Fire sucks because it wastes alot of energy going somewhere else.
                      Let's make 'em scream

Comment

What if a blood leech is formed and thrown at their opponent restricting the person's healing by 10-20%? Just an idea and wouldn't really solve all the
                        Leaving me hanging, sob.

I did have an idea similar to that, once upon a time, but I decided it was likely too OP given that we already enjoy more health than any mortal players. I would be happier with some sort of hindering ability...my ideabank is just very empty.

I've considered things in Psionics such as a pseudo-paralysis, sleep or stun, but when coupled with the (very nice) arsenal we have with Symbiosis, it's just very hard to come up with ideas that keep the guild balanced. I don't want to be hilariously OP, that makes combat boring. I want to struggle against an Assassin, and be easily outmatched when it comes to affliction stacking and speed (just like everyone else), but I certainly don't want my own afflictions to be a complete waste once I'm sparring someone for the second or third time.

The Forsaken were purposefully given the shorter end of the afflicting stick, as it was decided that we would be more defensive and tanky as compared to effective afflicters (since, back in the day, we were the org without warriors), but now we're just sort of...left without a place. Sparring is depressing when your only option is to hope for a Defile, then talontalontalon until they just up and walk away (worst case scenario, most common).

Going to dive back into my thinking chair and think, think, thiii-iii-ink. Look forward to more uselessly-long posts when I can come up with some possibilities for you all to judge and criticize!

Minstrel Sharallin sings: "The lord of revenants is a withered man, sunken by age and evil. But his blood is sweet, say the young men - and they should know?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Pyrok View Post
                          TL;DR Lightning does so much damage because it's focused energy. Rocks hurt more cause they're blunt, and somewhat mundane. Fire sucks because it wastes alot of energy going somewhere else.
                          If I'm understanding you correctly...we just need to do away with Pyromancers, and have Lasermancers.

Malic for Master of the Beam, 2012!

Comment

• Lasers aren't consistent with the lore... even though anything is better with lasers.
                            I'm worried that the introduction of Laser/Photomancers will turn Akanbar
                            into a breeding ground for thinly veiled Star Wars references.

But to defend my baffling logic: How did you go from lighning to laser? I was comparing lightning, in
                            the analogy of a spear, with one single point of impact - to fire and equating that to a water balloon.
                            Last edited by Pyrok; 9 May 2012, 02:19 AM.
                            Let's make 'em scream

Comment

• Originally posted by Pyrok View Post
                              But to defend my baffling logic: How did you go from lighning to laser? I was comparing lightning, in
                              the analogy of a spear, with one single point of impact - to fire and equating that to a water balloon.
                              Originally posted by Pyrok
                              Lightning is a whole other matter. Like fire it is raw magical energy, but this time it's focused to a point, and not allowed to deviate very much from its current form. All of its energy is fixed on one point, it'll punch through the plate with little to no resistance
                              There, there!

Comment

• Haha, I kind of like David's idea of 'throwing' a blood leach which does in fact suck at your health which only does like 1% damage per second but still would be useful but not really ideal. None the less quite amusing.

Comment

Working...
                                X