This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Malic View Post
    There is an arena event rather similiar to what you are suggesting. You take on the predefined role of a champion from history, each with their own specilised skills. I've only been around once when this event was on, I was still a novice.

I have a hazy recollection of there being a help file about the event too.
    Yeah I have seen that one was well. I caught the tail end of the arena so I wasn't able to participate. It was this arena that I was building my idea upon. I just felt it would be cool to pick your skills rather than a champion. I dunno maybe my idea is too similar.
    Seig is rather Dashing and Charming no?

Dashing Seig says, "We should run an ass slapping train on dat phat booty"
    2240/2240h 280/280m 58xp >
    Words to Live By:
    "I dont assume to understand women" -Sir Magnum Veritan 2016
    "...and RNGesus hates me cause I don't believe in him so..." -myself 2016

Comment

• You run your eye over some Smuggler's Fancy. This creamy light beer has been brewed with broom
      flowers, giving it a sweet flowery aroma, though the rumours that the flowers also cause hallucinations suggest that moderation may be wise.

I see hallucinations in this... now I know it seems kind of wrong to implement things like this in a game, but I do think it would be fun to see things that aren't there. Would definitely make bashing interesting at least, perhaps something that would feint an attack or you know like in Nisse sheathes of wheat driving carts around for you.
      I don't mean throw a whole drug into akanbar, but I mean honestly alcohol could increase your strength while decreasing your ability to actually fight. Would be an interesting add in at least. The only reason I bring this up is because this drink is 'rumored to cause hallucinations' but I drank 20 sips of it when only 2 sips of beer or wine will make me stumble and hiccup. It sounds fun! Rebuttal?
      Commander Joscelin says, "Sup puppets."
      A marionette bashes Commander Joscelin with its heavy wooden fists.

Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "For nineteen minutes I liked you"

Comment

• Originally posted by roeshak View Post
        You run your eye over some Smuggler's Fancy. This creamy light beer has been brewed with broom
        flowers, giving it a sweet flowery aroma, though the rumours that the flowers also cause hallucinations suggest that moderation may be wise.

I see hallucinations in this... now I know it seems kind of wrong to implement things like this in a game, but I do think it would be fun to see things that aren't there. Would definitely make bashing interesting at least, perhaps something that would feint an attack or you know like in Nisse sheathes of wheat driving carts around for you.
        I don't mean throw a whole drug into akanbar, but I mean honestly alcohol could increase your strength while decreasing your ability to actually fight. Would be an interesting add in at least. The only reason I bring this up is because this drink is 'rumored to cause hallucinations' but I drank 20 sips of it when only 2 sips of beer or wine will make me stumble and hiccup. It sounds fun! Rebuttal?
        No rebuttal, seconding. I thought it was supposed to give hallucinations and have been drink the stuff for a while now just to experience it (yes Seig is an alcoholic and likes new things) I think the most I have drank at one time is around 20-30 sips. Though beer takes a lot more than two sips just to get me stumbling o.o
        Seig is rather Dashing and Charming no?

Dashing Seig says, "We should run an ass slapping train on dat phat booty"
        2240/2240h 280/280m 58xp >
        Words to Live By:
        "I dont assume to understand women" -Sir Magnum Veritan 2016
        "...and RNGesus hates me cause I don't believe in him so..." -myself 2016

Comment

• Descriptions including rumors, this saddens me.

Also, seeing things that aren't there would be great. Old players emoting at you while you walk past, tables running around (again), Golgonath having a patron...cool, impossible things!
          Zycandos and Jaethor's karaoke rendition of 'I Feel Pretty'.

Jaethor goes solo with 'The Sound of Music'.

Minstrel Sharallin sings: "The lord of revenants is a withered man, sunken by age and evil. But his blood is sweet, say the young men - and they should know?"
          Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "((Stop breaking Akanbar.))"

Comment

• Idea:

(granted this idea has most likely already been submitted by many in the past or at least some variation of it has been)

I'd like to suggest "army" quests. Something along the lines of a Village leader can be spoken to and regardless of hostility, said leader might ask that a military occupation of a foreign government (ie village) occur. Something like 'Ask Thorgon Politics' could serve the purpose of creating a new kind of (city?) quest. Thorgon might request something like this: "The people of Welsbury are in desperate need of wood. It is for this reason that an alliance between Forloch and Welsbury must be met. Forloch has indicated that it wishes to be free from the tyranny which is forced upon them for the past decades and if said freedom is granted, their leaders have agreed to an alliance. Should this event just described happen, a price of 50 gold would be paid and 20 men from our village will be given to you to do as you please."

The above example is very lengthy, but it should be noted that not every 'quest' would need to have such a back story. We already know that the elves hate the goblins. We know that the dwarfs hate the people of Lymr... Such stories would be amazing and the possibilities behind this are never ending. Very similar to the ents that destroyed bugia, A militant band could threaten Marinford and whichever city that took it upon themselves to liberate them would be rewarded. The idea of using military forces to protect a city from a possible threat could be done. Erasati (kzuli leader) might request that Khazir be protected because she has heard from a source that a possible invasion might occur.

The best part of this all, is that what is 'said' by the characters, wouldn't always have to occur. Arguably Thorgon (from above example) is not the most upstanding individual. If the deed is done, it is possible he might not even pay out anything at all. It is just as likely that a request that indicates no reward, a reward might be given.

I think that this idea was in a way influenced by David's posting. There is very little reward to Raiding (a brief summary of what he wrote) and in away, there is very little reward for marching as well. How many decades go by without armies every marching. How many decades has Forloch been held by Ysallyra. This might be my opinion and shared by none, but I have always felt that Politics should be fluid. It is, in the sense that hard work and determination can bring great success and rewards to a city. (A huge applaud to Ysallyra. I can't believe you guys have kept this up. A huge!!! accomplishment!) However, I can't imagine that the Village occupation was implemented so that only one side of the map is ever occupied. With a bit more incentive, I'd hope to see the world of Akanbar change. I'd like to see a world where Golgonath makes an Attempt to occupy the western world. And a world where the many evils in Lymr, Baresh, and other villages of the eastern world are made right as well. Great risk should come with great reward. (The concept of military occupation, or at least military commands should also be considered as certain additions could make the use of this game feature much more valuable to all cities. (I can commit further but I abstain from doing so now as I fear I know how this idea will be received regardless)

Our armies shouldn't just exist to sit in the barracks and burden our cities incomes. Lets put them to use! Instead of limiting how many soldiers we can enlist to 10-14 per real life day, give us an opportunity to expand our armies by taking risks. Sure. This gives provides the opportunity for one city to overtake another completely. However, that already exists. As one city grows dormant, another city thrives. This is inevitable. If one city becomes too strong, then the god's army should intervene as it did back some 30 or more years ago. The hard work of the current players shouldn't be limited by this fear. I am very aware that other things need to be taken into consideration, but maybe those aspects should be reconsidered as well. Akanbar is a game. The worst that can be happen is a refresh button be pressed? Wasn't the refresh button pressed when Golgonath was granted 5 or more years to rebuild?

Comment

• I'd like to see a world where Golgonath makes an Attempt to occupy the western world.
              Mmm, yes, that'd been tried about ten times. Unfortunately the second Golgonath's bulk playerbase logs off, Elysium magically appears and eradicates all of the occupying armies. IMO, armies just need to go. They bring nothing but grief.
              Zycandos and Jaethor's karaoke rendition of 'I Feel Pretty'.

Jaethor goes solo with 'The Sound of Music'.

Minstrel Sharallin sings: "The lord of revenants is a withered man, sunken by age and evil. But his blood is sweet, say the young men - and they should know?"
              Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "((Stop breaking Akanbar.))"

Comment

• The only things I see about this, 1) if there isn't a reward people aren't likely to do it. 2) you at most can have 3 different people who CAN march so the quest is a really small play base. 3) by even moving an army you are subject to being killed so unless you'd want to get jumped for a quest you aren't likely to get a reward for it goes without saying the quest would then become useless and armies would fall dormant again. Sure armies are annoying, if anything I think the fact that armies last so damn long is a bit unreal. 100 years tops for each soldier, but then you run into the problem of running out of soldiers. There is just a fine line for it all. As far as those 5 years, Golgonath needed that time because they were double teamed by the other cities who probably would have kept on marching on the city just to ensure the complete destruction of their armies. There has to be some regulation here. Armies aren't supposed to be fun, though watching an army fight is kind of entertaining.
                Commander Joscelin says, "Sup puppets."
                A marionette bashes Commander Joscelin with its heavy wooden fists.

Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "For nineteen minutes I liked you"

Comment

• To Roeshak:

I'd like to firstly agree with you, that the player base for the kind of quest I have suggested is very small. However, it would still be a 'city' quest. For the simple fact that a person can be jumped. Imagine if there was a real incentive... 100 gold and 100 men enlisted in to the cities army. The enemy cities would be aware of this and if they saw this occuring, would make life for the commander and supporting citizens hell. Possibly even march to counter it. So, although only 3-4 people in any city could actually do the marching. It would promote a city quest. I do give you this though... depending on the reward/activity, these quests would likely fall dormant because the rewards are either not high enough or too difficult.

If Domhan asked for 500 soldiers to be sent to Lymr to put to rest a rising rebellion, Elysium wouldn't likely do anything about it. Elysium would be asking for Golgonath to intercept at one point or another.

To Dimetrius: I'd agree with you, but i see so much potential in armies... It saddens me that Armies are not made to be a more integrated part of a city (building houses... expanding territories, creating barriers... so forth)

Comment

• You could go another way.

Increase the enlisting rates, reduce marching times, lower army costs, allow multiple captains of the guard positions and increase the effectiveness of city gates also allowing armies to build minor defensive fortifications in any standard outdoors location.

This would make armies more accessable to more people, allow cities to take more risks with occupying villages, build larger attack forces but at the same time protecting cities from being occupied too easily.
                    We don't need no water, ....

Comment

• In case you all are wondering, I haven't forgotten about you. I like the conversation going on.
                      Tick tock goes the clock until you feel my ire. You'll lose your voice and turn to rock and lose what you desire.

Comment

• I'm for whatever removes the feeling of....we don't really have to do much as a city because in the end the war is dictated by our gate being unable to be attacked. I want more control to fall within the players hands. A player should be able to log on and feel that even if they have a small time to play that they could impact the war in a way. Otherwise we all are just standing by waiting for economical crisis to break out.

Also, patrols are a bit overpowered in many ways. A patrol of 5 makes it nearly impossible for anyone to generate anything within a city. Especially since most cities have a patrol every single step. I know I've suggested this a few times in the past, but I do think it's an issue restricting inner city conflict. A patrol of 3 would make even the mightest foes struggle for the most part.

If Akanbar were to decrease the amount of time it took an army to march then I would hope that it would have a tie to the person marching the army. If it is a group of 49 or less, perhaps just the normal balance recovery...but for an army of 50+ then perhaps you issue the march and you're obligated to stay by a form of prevention for the time of 1-2 minutes? Or until the army marches.

Raiding is great fun, but often it is very general and has got a bit dull in the past few years....spicing it up would be great from this old player. A warden casting a large wave of force that knocks down all enemies. They also have the ability to intone, so perhaps the ability to summon a dragon that is similar in power to a drake that attacks random foes. A Pryomancer that hurls a ball of fire at the ground that causes life degeneration every second.

Just rambling on now....thanks.
                        Last edited by David; 14 September 2012, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by David View Post
                          If it is a group of 49 or less, perhaps just the normal balance recovery...but for an army of 50+ then perhaps you issue the march and you're obligated to stay by a form of prevention for the time of 1-2 minutes? Or until the army marches.
                          Similar to when you're fighting something, where you can't enter the boards"while still in combat", instead being something like, "You are still in command of an army, you cannot flee to the bulletin board." ? I think that's a good idea. If a mosquito can keep me out of the boards for a bit, even after it's already dead, I don't see why marching shouldn't.

Comment

• Personally, I've never seen the point in sneaking (or barging in swords drawn, spells ready to be cast) into a city. Yes there's killing the NPC citizens, or guild tutors, or any of the numerous mounts people leave standing about but beyond that there's nothing. The citizens respawn, the guild tutors respawn, the mounts respawn. Nothing lasting or causing of any real 'frustration'. When someone kills a citizen the city officials can basically go 'Oh darn, now I have X less guards to recruit... wait that's less work for today. Awesome!'
                            I want to blow something up, damage property, poison the wells, burn crops, steal everyone's left shoe. Something that makes everyone go "OH GOD WHY?!"

Example:
                            Elysians who manage to get past the gate through subterfuge (read:disguising not failing due to the oodles of guards at the front gates) can plant the brimstone bags they've got smuggled in by the thieves in Golgonath's sewers (im pulling people out of a hat here) all over the city. OR detonate them via fire dragon or lightning bolt or tinderbox and demolish a few buildings... Like the Black Tower for instance.
                            The resulting explosion would blow their cover, alert all the guards to their presence and they'd have to fight their way back out of the city.
                            Let's make 'em scream

Comment

• Originally posted by David View Post
                              If Akanbar were to decrease the amount of time it took an army to march then I would hope that it would have a tie to the person marching the army. If it is a group of 49 or less, perhaps just the normal balance recovery...but for an army of 50+ then perhaps you issue the march and you're obligated to stay by a form of prevention for the time of 1-2 minutes? Or until the army marches.
                              That would be my suggestion to the frustrating march/bb or march/slip, or whatever style is chosen.

Could it be made to work that if a commander orders a march to his army, and then leaves the location that the march will fail? It would add a fairly serious element to marching a offensive army. You have to stay static and alive (yay, no suicide marching either!) to complete the march. It would mean people would have to come up with new tactics on how to handle the situation.

I like tactics. Have I ever mentioned that before? Oh, right, that many times huh? Oh well.

Malic.

Tactics
                              We don't need no water, ....

Comment

• I completely agree that something needs to be changed in the sense of marching. I like the above proposals, however there are a few obvious problems with them. What I would purpose is something like this: For every 20 units being marched a 1 second delay where nothing can be done. Almost like in the sense of Meditation. If you talk/move/take a herb/sip a potion, the command would fail and you'd have to re initiate it. That means that if I were to march an army of 500 I would have 25 seconds of complete vulnerability. This would correlate with the already existing marching delays (marching bigger armies takes more time to actually march to the next destination.)

Pyrok: I agree completely with what you said in terms of having no value in raiding a city. Killing NPC's and destroying the entire inner parts of a city was fun the first time, amusing the second, and then finally I came to the realization that the costs are not worth the trivial rewards. I have been apart of the side doing the raiding and on the receiving end of it. And on the receiving end of it, you are exactly right, it is: "whatever, in 3 days or so this won't matter". There needs to be something of Value.... Such items/rewards I could elaborate, however I will do so only if requested.

David: Yes! Raiding has become incredibly boring. I mean, raiding is so... easy now where 2 people can do it. Granted, Elysium hasn't attempted anything like that in forever for various reasons. However, I'd love to see some advances in the sense of raiding. I don't have much to input on this idea though as I am kind of tired.

Idea: I'd like to see weather related effects. How to explain this... Very similar to what has happened in Golgonath with the magical storms, why can't we see mass flooding in certain areas of the world. Murandi strikes me as a great place to see a flood. Tornados could be very interesting as well. Something where it temporarily blocks off one side of akanbar and if caught within it, you are stuck and receive damage until it disperses...

Comment

Working...
                                X