Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I speak for [essentially] everyone when I say that the constant beating of the raid horse is getting old.

Let's try coming up with actual ideas, rather than droning on about the same tired point.

I mean, it's great to have Elysium complaining when we abandon a raid, but really.
    Last edited by Dimetrius; 24 March 2011, 07:49 PM.
    Zycandos and Jaethor's karaoke rendition of 'I Feel Pretty'.

Jaethor goes solo with 'The Sound of Music'.

Minstrel Sharallin sings: "The lord of revenants is a withered man, sunken by age and evil. But his blood is sweet, say the young men - and they should know?"
    Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "((Stop breaking Akanbar.))"

Comment

• Not going to say anything anymore. You're right, if it needs fixed it'll get fixed.

Comment

• interesting concept

Passing along some ideas from Pyrok until he gets his posting previlages fixed.

We are all coders.

I've spent some time away, during which I was looking at what other MUDs had to offer, and reading the Ideas thread. I have some ideas of my own to put forth, not entirely to those behind the scenes in Akanbar, but more to us as a whole.

We all know about the custom emote system, some of us may or may not give much thought to on a regular basis. This system is far more powerful than it seems, especially when combined with a player's knowledge of their client program. I myself have created the beginnings of a blackjack game, and even a dice game using this system.

What I am getting at, and I sincerely do not mean anything against the coders and builders of Akanbar, is that we don't need coders. We are all pseudo-coders. We all have the ability: the emote system and clients we all use. We have the imagination: the intermittent stories and role-play that DOES occur, and the knowledge to use both without being anything more than a mortal.

Use your client to make aliases, we all do this anyway, use the custom emote system to make something really different. No, it won't be something dramatic like obliterating a wall, raising the dead or causing mass carnage or peace across the landscape, but if the coders were to do it would you be satisfied with it? We get told a lot in Akanbar that our actions shape the world around us, maybe we should start actively shaping it instead of reacting to Rhyndar's events or Ilessa's actions. (Not to demean either one.)

We don't need them to create something, really all they COULD do is make it permanent in Akanbar. I can teach my games to other people, which would essentially make it part of the game, because if it's a part of you - it's part of the game.

Now, I also have something else I want to put forth, I'd been reading David's posts about raiding, and how he wants the tower respawns made shorter to make raiding more involved (or entertaining). Originally I was a little annoyed at his suggestion, thought he was being a bit obsessed with flexing his combat experience. Then I got past that. I realized, what if there was a compromise?

During times of war, why not adjust the respawn making it lower and during times of peace (or the equivalent) return it to normal?

To me this makes sense, a city would want to produce more guards to defend it during a time of war, and let's assume that the guards killed aren't so much being sent through the Heavens but to the healers to be patched up. It'd make sense to send them back as quickly as possible to prevent a breach in defenses. Right? Now this doesn't mean I think there needs to be more guards, I think they should just come back quicker during times of war.
        Seig is rather Dashing and Charming no?

Dashing Seig says, "We should run an ass slapping train on dat phat booty"
        2240/2240h 280/280m 58xp >
        Words to Live By:
        "I dont assume to understand women" -Sir Magnum Veritan 2016
        "...and RNGesus hates me cause I don't believe in him so..." -myself 2016

Comment

• I have a fairly simple idea, one that has driven other role players and I up a wall.

* Your entry was too long and has been split. It was:
          I understand that maybe the servers aren't big enough or some blah,blah,blah.

But possibly instead of cutting it off, and ruining the mood/focus of the rp. Just stop it from posting at all and send a syntax to the player, that it would be cut off and this is the longest it can go to and show where it cuts. So that we can split it ourselves, so as not to break the Rp.
          Last edited by Oskar; 9 April 2011, 05:21 AM.
          Be wary of anything given to you by Jaethor, it will probably kill you someday

Comment

• With the introduction of more aspects of oceanic warfare, would it be unreasonable to have another city
            aide position created? I've already submitted this via IDEA, but getting a few opinions here couldn't hurt.

The aide in question would be the appointed head of a nation's naval fleet, able to captain all city-owned
            ships [without necessarily being the captain in question], and/or the ability to appoint others as city ship
            captains at will*. I'm sure as the system is further developed, more pieces could be added into the mix.

*As far as I'm aware, the only person able to do this at current is the head of a nation's ruling council
            [though of course this is probably not this case when it comes to Ysallyra, this is stemming from my
            personal experiences as Master of Golgonath]. Is this power also invested in the Master of War/Praetor
            of the Military? If not, it would make a fair bit of sense to give more than one person the ability to do this.

Minstrel Sharallin sings: "The lord of revenants is a withered man, sunken by age and evil. But his blood is sweet, say the young men - and they should know?"

Comment

• I like this concept, but if it's a city owned ship can't any senator/master easily name someone captain?

Comment

• Originally posted by David View Post
                I like this concept, but if it's a city owned ship can't any senator/master easily name someone captain?
                I asked the same question.

As far as I'm aware, as Master of Repression, I can't do a thing with city-owned ships.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dimetrius View Post
                  I asked the same question.

As far as I'm aware, as Master of Repression, I can't do a thing with city-owned ships.
                  I think only Proconsul/Master of All and Praetor of Military/Master of War equivalents can do such.

Comment

• Setting the captain of a city owned ship should work for all elected officials, including Masters who are not part of the Military. I do not know why it would not work for you unless you are entering the wrong command or there is a bug. I would be interested in this matter being pursued through either bug reports or through speaking to the proper divine. Should the problem arise once more, please create a log of it.
                    Tick tock goes the clock until you feel my ire. You'll lose your voice and turn to rock and lose what you desire.

Comment

• As I was looking over the stock in the Ogre's Head yesterday, it occurred to me that the Penumbra seems to be the only inn with a bartender. It got me thinking. I like keeping my faculties about me, so I rarely drink, but what if each inn had a bartender, and instead of 'BUY [BEVERAGE] IN [CONTAINER]' you could simply, say, ASK KOLDAR RUM.

This leads me to the actual idea this started with. Most of the inn's in the land, (The Staff and Dragon, The Silver Dragon, The Serpant's Scale, The Phoenix Folly Inn, The Ogres Head) seem to have names that would lend themselves rather well to a drink. What if each inn had its own 'specialty' drink, you could ask the bartender for?
                      Last edited by Loren; 24 May 2011, 01:27 PM. Reason: Typo.
                      We are both of us merchants, and I'll promise you one thing. We will not laugh until we get the money, and we will not cry until we go bankrupt. And guess what? We are going to laugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
                        As I was looking over the stock in the Ogre's Head yesterday, it occurred to me that the Penumbra seems to be the only inn with a bartender. It got me thinking. I like keeping my faculties about me, so I rarely drink, but what if each inn had a bartender, and instead of 'BUY [BEVERAGE] IN [CONTAINER]' you could simply, say, ASK KOLDAR RUM.

This leads me to the actual idea this started with. Most of the inn's in the land, (The Staff and Dragon, The Silver Dragon, The Serpant's Scale, The Phoenix Folly Inn, The Ogres Head) seem to have names that would lend themselves rather well to a drink. What if each inn had its own 'specialty' drink, you could ask the bartender for?
                        Specialty drink as in with special properties or effects? Or just a different named beverage?

I still like, I think it was Shax's idea, about a caffeinated drink. Maybe it's just because I'm getting old and impatient but I'm ALWAYS sleepy and falling off my horse. Some Akanbarian Red Bull would be neat.

Note: That is not an invitation to send a Crimson coloured bull charging through Golgonath. *peers at Rhyndar*
                        A presence has rewarded you with his favour.

Zycandos, God of Creation tells you, "For bothering to be interesting!"

Comment

• Well, I hadn't given thought to the effects such a drink would have, though caffeinated beverages are an exciting prospect.
                          We are both of us merchants, and I'll promise you one thing. We will not laugh until we get the money, and we will not cry until we go bankrupt. And guess what? We are going to laugh.

Comment

• Ideas For Ore Consumption

Idea #1 - We can construct shrines, or statues dedicated to a divinity of our choice. These may serve no purpose other than aesthetic, or perhaps they may be temporary altars to offer corpses to divinities. They would last only a brief time, a month or two at the most, and would require some ores to construct.

Idea #2 - (Everyone will hate this idea) Armour currently is eternal if someone repairs it every time they go hunting. That seems illogical. I think each time armour is repaired, its maximum durability should decrease, if only slightly. Then eventually it will have only a small amount of durability remaining and will break. This will increase the demand for ores, as well as the demand for smiths. Each ore would have a different amount of durability innately, which could also be effected by the skill of the smith. This would help to increase the value of some ores (ie. Iron) which should be more valuable than copper, but it is not.

Idea #3 - Cities could utilize some of their OVERABUNDANCE of ores stocked to construct lanterns that can be placed at certain locations throughout the city. These lanterns would need a constant supply of a fuel source to stay lit at night (ie. One quantity of oil will last 5 months in the lantern.) Also the lanterns themselves would last only a finite time, such as two years, before they would need to be replaced.

Idea #4 - Another quest or two in which a person asks for ores to complete a project, and offers a monetary reward, or experience gain. Perhaps there is a man somewhere who wants to build a cathedral, and needs a huge quantity of ores and stone to do so. Then several years from now, once the cathedral is built, it could become haunted by ghouls and other ghosts of those who died during the construction and so is abandoned as a new hunting ground.

Idea #5 - Aesthetic Items to be fashioned by smiths or artisans including reading glasses, masks, instruments, ornaments, wall hangings, statues, war banners, coat of arms, furniture (ie. tables, chairs, bed frames, bookshelves), vases, dishes, chests, pipes (rather than wood), and lockets

Idea #6 - NEW WEAPONS - Maces, Chain Whips, Crossbows, Flails, Zweihanders, Quarterstaffs, Morningstars, Slings - NEW ARMOUR - Armet, Brigandine, Chausses, Vambrace, Hauberk, Tunic, Vest, Diamond Shield, Maximillian, Escutcheon, Jerkin, Coat, Chestplate,

Comment

• Minor note: While not in spectacular use, maces, morningstars, tunics, and jerkins already do exist. As well as chests and various furnitures. Also - unless new armours and weapons add a functionality that none of the current weapons and armours do now, people are still going to stick to getting the current most widely used pieces.

Comment

• Side note: Love the idea of diamond armour, just because how much fun would it be to go around wearing giant diamonds that protect your body from harm? I would just get a kick out of it. I hate the armour idea though Kryllian is already to hard to find, for it to actually decay would make it next to impossible to ever have a full set.
                                Be wary of anything given to you by Jaethor, it will probably kill you someday

Comment

Working...
                                X