No announcement yet.

OOC in public places

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For that matter, you're going to have to omit certain parts, because there is no way you'll remember things from a day, or two days ago, which translates into a month or two for the characters. It is extremely unlikely you'll get everything just right.

Edit: Unless you keep a log. Ironic, no?

Comment

The whole thing with logs is just politics. Logs shouldn't have anything to do with proof. Not only can they easily be altered, they're more or less useless. If you're an official, and you want to know what happened, investigate, interview the people involved, the witnesses, do your job. Don't just say, Where's the log, and then base your decision from that.
      The Strong may rule the Weak, but the Clever will always rule the Strong.
      --------------------------------
      Real men are carved from the pointed teeth of adversity

Comment

Originally posted by Kresslack View Post
        The whole thing with logs is just politics. Logs shouldn't have anything to do with proof. Not only can they easily be altered, they're more or less useless. If you're an official, and you want to know what happened, investigate, interview the people involved, the witnesses, do your job. Don't just say, Where's the log, and then base your decision from that.
        I agree, I remember when i first started Akanbar and was asked to submit logs as proof etc...etc,I came from a mud that relied so little on logs so I had to quickly adjust to log anything in case people were looking to get you in trouble.

I really never have liked the fact that a lot of the decisions made are based solely off logs or conversations just turn into "Do you have a log?" . I think what Chyren said is right, if it is important enough I am sure the Divine will get involved.

I'd really like to see the whole "Do you have a log" conversations to cease, to me it lacks roleplay and the ability of characters to interact and retell their sides of the story. People are allowed to lie, nothing is ever perfect.
        Last edited by Aaridan; 1 January 2010, 02:54 AM.
        To be the best, one must defeat the best. Not once, but on a consistent basis.

Comment

We agree, except for one part.

To me it lacks roleplay and the ability of characters to interact.
          Only very few people actually try and roleplay 100% of the time, I could likely count them on one hand, at the most only needed an extra finger or two. If they don't roleplay any other time, they won't start just to get something situated.

Edit:

I think what Chyren said is right, if it is important enough I am sure the Divine will get involved.
          It does happen. Anath checked message logs when I forged a log to try and get someone booted from being Chieftan.

Comment

I'd personally like to see people get warn zapped for at least shouting things OOC'ly. I mean, if you shout something like, "My system sure does suck", where everyone can hear you, you just need to go fall into a well somewhere....and people shout stuff like that. I don't understand it. This is WoW.

Comment

(this is WoW?)

but yea, I know what you're talking about (the exact shout too). I seriously wish the gods would start enforcing roleplay, whether it be via posting that "hey, don't say stuff like that" or, as you said, zapping. When someone shouts stuff like that, it seriously detracts from everyone else's experience.
              Sir Ichiban drools all over himself.
              You say, "Ready? Ready?"
              You say, "Go get it!"
              You throw a light crystal to the up.
              You have recovered balance.
              Sir Ichiban is no longer following you.
              Sir Ichiban has just ridden up, astride a warhorse.

Comment

Don't knock the divine too hard. There are not hundreds of them and all of their time is devoted to trying to make the realm better. In other words they do not always have the time to sit there listening for every rp breach that comes, waiting with lightning bolt in hand.

As several previous posts have pointed out, the only way rp will ever become mandated will be if the players themselves help police it. And if things are anything like the days i could spend more time in land, even most of the players who claim to only want rp will let ooc stuff slide so often (particularly in smaller and more private settings) that folks who don't feel like rp don't feel they have to. If everyone was willing to enforce it, even on their old friends, this thread wouldn't exist.
                In all you do.....do it with love and with honor.

Comment

If you're saying that the only way we'll have RP is if 100% of players want to have RP, then we will never have RP. But I don't think you're right.

Not that any of that is really germane to the original question.

Comment

Originally posted by Xinia View Post
                    (this is WoW?)

but yea, I know what you're talking about (the exact shout too). I seriously wish the gods would start enforcing roleplay, whether it be via posting that "hey, don't say stuff like that" or, as you said, zapping. When someone shouts stuff like that, it seriously detracts from everyone else's experience.
                    Obviously I meant to say This isn't WoW. Don't know which is faster, my fingers or brain. Meh.

Comment

I'll tell you, big boy. ; )

Comment

You say, "Ready? Ready?"
                        You say, "Go get it!"

Comment

I meant by watching him type and asking him what he's going to write before he types.

Comment

But then he'll have to think of what to say to you... and what if he types slower than he talks? Or faster?!
                            You say, "Ready? Ready?"
                            You say, "Go get it!"

Comment

That's his fault for screwing up the test, duh?

Comment

As far as I've gathered, Akanbar isn't that supportive of fully enforced RP. For one, the playerbase is largely casual, and largely hack & slash. I will tend to go with the flow of whoever I'm with. If who I'm with is RPing, then I'll RP along with them. If I'm with someone who doesn't seem to be RPing at all, I'll tone down my own RP, but I'm not going to go completely OOC unless there is a specific need for it.

I don't really have any complaints as far as the gods are concerned. They do get involved when it's something really disruptive to gameplay, like people shouting about blatantly OOC topics, or OOC topics at the crossroads, or things like that. I wouldn't expect any god to sit and watch every location to make sure everyone is acting in role. That's not the kind of game this is.

I like Akanbar for what it is. It gives you the freedom of roleplaying as much or as little as you feel like without someone coming along and telling you you aren't roleplaying enough or you're roleplaying too much (this is the reason I tone down my RP around a more casual group, because some people aren't as intensive, and I'd rather not be the only guy roleplaying when everyone else is just screwing around). I do agree, though, if someone is in a room talking about OOC things around people trying to roleplay, they should be told to quiet down, and they should do so without a fuss. It's just etiquette.

Comment

Working...
                                X