• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOC in public places

Originally posted by HELP OOC
    Out of character topics should be limited for private discussion either in
    tells or says. Be considerate of those around you. Out of character topics
    should not be discussed in a public areas.
    That's a pretty vague wording, it seems more of a suggestion than a rule. The only firm rules there are about shouts. So... when people are standing in a very public place (like a city center) talking about their preferred MUD clients, or what movies they went to see, what should someone do? Just grin and bear it or leave, or is there anything more?
    Last edited by Tsianina; 20 December 2009, 12:47 AM.

Kindly ask them to shut up about OOC things.

Comment

I tend to just walk away myself.
      One day I won't suck. Today is not that day.

Comment

I flat out ask them in tells to stop, but that's earned me a bit of a reputation of being hateful.

Honestly, I wish Akanbar were an RP-required mud, but as the offended OOC talkers often say, Topmudsites says that roleplaying, while encouraged, is not required. Given, it also says we have clans/cabals, we have nine guilds and there are random dungeons. However, I've seen at least one God flat out tell them to stop talking OOCly at the crossroads.
        Sir Ichiban drools all over himself.
        You say, "Ready? Ready?"
        You say, "Go get it!"
        You throw a light crystal to the up.
        You have recovered balance.
        Sir Ichiban is no longer following you.
        Sir Ichiban has just ridden up, astride a warhorse.

Comment

Topmudsites was also done at the inception of Akanbar. Five(Six, maybe?) years ago.

Comment

Wonder why no one's updated it since.

I haven't bothered to ask them to stop, both because I know it wouldn't work (and then I'd be right back where I started), and because I don't want to garner that reputation Xinia mentioned. I was mostly wondering if the "suggestion/rule" in HELP OOC bore any weight, so I'd know if there was something to do after that.

Comment

This is something I'm tired of seeing as well. Some people do it intentionally. If you have to talk OOC, at least do it in tells. Why would people care what movie you saw this weekend, or what you had for breakfast, or what your brother put in your sock? This is a Role Playing Game, while RP may not be enforced, it's still something to take into consideration.
              The Strong may rule the Weak, but the Clever will always rule the Strong.
              --------------------------------
              Real men are carved from the pointed teeth of adversity

Comment

ooc in public

I pretty much agree with all that has been said. I think there are certain exceptional circumstances, where OOC is fine, and even perhaps necessary, like when you are explaining technical game stuff to a new arrival to the lands. But that is still game related. I dont think there is ever any appropriate time or place to publically for instance, tell me what you found on Hulu, or whatever. If done at all, OOC should at least be game related, if you are forcing others to endure it.
                Another thing I see alot of that I dont particularly like, is using code words to openly refer to OOC. Like saying things about the "aether", or "the shadows", when you know what you are talking about is nothing at all to do with Akanbar. Alot of people do it, and I doubt me mentioning this will ever stop any of it, but if something is definitely OOC I suggest avoiding referring to it IC, instead of looking for ways to work around it by giving it a more Akanbar sounding name.
                Charlotte Mayfair

Comment

Logs

Speaking of being OOC in public. Why is acceptable to ask for logs of proof that an event occurred. Not only is presenting a log in its original format completely OOC in nature, but logs can very easily be fabricated.

Comment

Very good point, I've done that. Then again, gods can and will check things if its important enough, to make sure whether a log is true.

Comment

What is important to us may not be important to a Divine.

I just think it is weird to ask for an OOC way to prove an IC occurrence.

Comment

You could always write it down on a piece of parchment or a book, or something similiar, and say, 'HERES MY LOG?"

Comment

The nature of the log in its original format is still OOC.

You are giddy from lack of sleep.
                          2300/2400h 235/300m 22xp > say Tsianina is a raging poophead.

You say, "Tsianina is a raging poophead."
                          2300/2400h 235/300m 22xp > look

At the foot of the Great Oak
                          Standing at the very centre of the Circle of the Clans, a great oak tree
                          reaches towards the sky, its boughs reaching out towards the outer rim of the
                          circle where many standing stones mark a clear perimeter. Gazing up you can
                          see a solitary wooden building nestled amongst the branches, the Halls of the
                          Shadow Council, one of the few buildings kept from the days when Ysallyrans
                          lived only in villages, preserved here in a tree as a memorial to their
                          heritage, as well as a place of government.
                          A craggy oak rises into the canopy here, squirrels scampering along its thick
                          branches. Orin, an elder of the village, sits on a straw mat here. A brown
                          horse is here, it is known as, "Fruitcake". A white horse is here, it is
                          known as, "Chunkles". There are twenty-five Shamen here. There are thirteen
                          clan warriors of Ysallyra here.
                          You can progress north, east, southeast, southwest, west and up.
                          2300/2400h 235/300m 22xp >
                          You stroke your chin, evaluating your symptoms and remembering your study of
                          afflictions...
                          You are soaking wet.
                          Therefore 1 affliction.
                          2300/2400h 235/300m 22xp f>
                          2300/2400h 235/300m 22xp f>
                          You have regained focus.
                          2300/2400h 235/300m 22xp >
                          Say I was accused of calling Tsianina a pimpleface when I actually called her a poophead and someone asked me to submit a log as proof of what I said. Let us say I submit this log in it's current form. One could say it is me recalling events that I have written down. (Which would be the same as me just telling what I said because the log could easily be fabricated. there is no reason to say a log is more truthful than what someone is telling you. In the case of a God checking if a log is true, there is no reason to even bring a log into play cause a God could just check what a person said ) Submitting a parchment like this in this form is blatantly OOC. Why would I record my health and mana in numbers? Or record that I had regained focus?

Comment

You wouldn't, nor would you if it wasn't pertinent. If it's only things people said, just write down those. If it's an arguement, again, write down words. If it's a spar, including afflictions and curing, take out locations except for movement. Then again, I was not aware you were talking so small time for logs. My input about Gods checking was for things that actually mattered.

Comment

It was just a small example of how logs are OOC. In order to make it somewhat IC you would have to change it. Why would you submit something to someone that says

"You say, "I like puppies."

If you were recording your events you would write. I said, "I like kittens." Or

Faralil: I like puppies
                              Tsianina: They are pretty cute.
                              Faralil: No I mean they taste pretty good.

Seeing a log in a form where it was just copied and pasted on a parchment for in character reasons doesn't change the fact that the format is OOC no matter how important it is.
                              Last edited by Faralil; 26 December 2009, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X