Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ability to flip a coin and get heads or tails for making arbitrary decisions. I do this in real life all the time, and would love if I could do it in Akanbar as well.
    We are both of us merchants, and I'll promise you one thing. We will not laugh until we get the money, and we will not cry until we go bankrupt. And guess what? We are going to laugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
      The ability to flip a coin and get heads or tails for making arbitrary decisions. I do this in real life all the time, and would love if I could do it in Akanbar as well.
      T...technically we can do that now, it just...well it...

Code:
      flip coin
      You must find a well to flip your coin into.
      ...Jaaaeeeethoooor...

Comment

• Originally posted by Nakarym View Post
        T...technically we can do that now, it just...well it...

Code:
        flip coin
        You must find a well to flip your coin into.
        ...Jaaaeeeethoooor...
        Jaethor's not here, sorry. He's... mountain climbing. On stilts.
        Tick tock goes the clock until you feel my ire. You'll lose your voice and turn to rock and lose what you desire.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaethor View Post
          Jaethor's not here, sorry. He's... mountain climbing. On stilts.
          With or without Sherpa?
          We are both of us merchants, and I'll promise you one thing. We will not laugh until we get the money, and we will not cry until we go bankrupt. And guess what? We are going to laugh.

Comment

• This is one of those times where the custom emote command and your preferred mud client are your friends. I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say that every client has a means of 'randomly' choosing between two (or more) values.

Portal has the r(value1,value2,value3 etc) option, for example. think Zmud is along the same lines. Can usually find where/how to make a random selector alias in the help files of your client.
            Did this with coins, dice, cards (cards was fun) in Portal. Also, you can 'favor' one particular outcome by adding more of it.
            Let's make 'em scream

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
              Make abribrary decisions.
              Shake crystal ball! Ball at Central Crossroads.

Coin flip nice also.

Comment

• We also run into the problem where our coins might not exactly have heads or tails, but I digress...

(Golgonian currency apparently has a demon on one side, and all of our coins have a numeral one on the other!)

Comment

• Wait. So Golgonath has different currency then Ysallyra and Elysium? O_o

Why has our economy not changed to a completely comms based one yet then? @_@
                  Hi. I don't have anything interesting or funny to put here, so I just left a generic placeholder till I do. Bye!

Comment

• Because the only village that has figured out the barter system is the Murandi village and they're not about to share their secrets for that.
                    Let's make 'em scream

Comment

• Because it'd be ridiculously awesome to get comm drops instead of gold. We can't have too much awesome and win around here, we've already got Nakarym and he's pushing the limit.

Comment

• Comm drops as in when you kill someone? Cause that'd demolish the economy harder and faster than Shax and Lawrence on energy drinks.
                        Tick tock goes the clock until you feel my ire. You'll lose your voice and turn to rock and lose what you desire.

Comment

• Ya, in reference to why our economy hasn't gone to solely comm based one. If gold didn't mean anything, mobs wouldn't drop it.

Comment

• I think whoever suggested/depicted that there is a difference in currency (between cities) was seriously confused, or at least with what Nakarym is talking about specifically, they were just...writing descriptions, and thought, "THIS IS A GOOD IDEA."

We technically don't even -have- silver or gold coins, it's just a way of breaking it down. There isn't really a silver coin- yet you can "get ten silver from purse", and even then, you "take one gold coin from inside a leather purse." It is only a means of simplification. If we had to carry around copper, silver and gold coins, when we paid for things, we would need -exact change-, or the merchant would have to make change for us. "Sorry, I only have six copper coins, and this one gold one...and that panatone costs 60c...can you make change for my gold coin?" Then, does the merchant give you fourty copper, or does he give you four silver? Or maybe he only has two silver in his register, and you're about to get twenty copper and two silver...That would really be...more realistic, I suppose, but also more complicated of a system. Even then, they may not have correct change for you at all times. When you get down to the nitty-gritty, it's all just copper coins, and they are -all- identical. Using the terms "gold" and "silver" just give us a way of moving our mass amounts of copper coins around easily.

ex coin
                            You run your eye over a copper coin.
                            Round and gleaming, its edge lightly milled to prevent counterfeiting and its
                            surface a rich pinkish-hued coppery colour, the coin is engraved with the
                            runic number one.

ex gold
                            You run your eye over a copper coin.
                            Round and gleaming, its edge lightly milled to prevent counterfeiting and its
                            surface a rich pinkish-hued coppery colour, the coin is engraved with the
                            runic number one.
                            Murandi are an exception, like Pyrok said, and they don't seem to use coins at all...which is probably why they don't have shops. Besides, it wouldn't be plausible to rely solely off of a barter system. I am -not- trading a silk shirt I tailored for fifty leather. "Oh, hey- swap me that roast beef for ten raw beef." ...um. No. Commodities do not have a set value, whereas coins do, which is why we use that system, I'd assume...

Sadly, Lawrence, it looks like our coins are identical on both sides...you can't tell if you are looking at the "head" or the "tail" because there isn't one. You really can't even know for sure when you pull out a coin and look at it, which side you are examining- so we would have to conclude that they are identical. Or, we are only capable of seeing one side of a coin. That's just my two cents, though. :P

Comment

• Originally posted by Silas View Post
                              we've already got Nakarym and he's pushing the limit.
                              Not even taking this as sarcasm, sorry bout it.

Anyways, back to coins. In my opinion, the cities could technically have "different" currency, in terms of aesthetics. Theoretically only the set value of the coin is what matters - as in its weight in copper - which could easily explain why the coins are all physically copper. Ten copper coins holds a value equal to a nonexistent coin struck in silver, because the weight of the silver coin would be (still in theory) ten times that of the copper coin.

Now, in terms of atomic mass, it is pretty untrue that copper x10 = silver and copper x100 = gold. Luckily this is a fantasy world where no one should actually care!

tl;dr - currency denominations are actually comparisons between fake ore weight, coins can have anything on the other side.

Last edited by Nakarym; 22 February 2014, 01:17 PM. Reason: This requires a Spongebob.

Comment

• Comm drops as in when you kill someone? Cause that'd demolish the economy harder and faster than Shax and Lawrence on energy drinks.
                                Come now, I haven't wrecked the economy once since I stopped mining. I do have all that mithril still though. Hmmmmmm...

Sadly, Lawrence, it looks like our coins are identical on both sides...you can't tell if you are looking at the "head" or the "tail" because there isn't one.
                                Lawrence was a blacksmith. He's going to start engraving little lightning bolts onto the back side of every single coin he owns.

Comment

Working...
                                X