Pyrok's been labelled as insane for a greater portion, or rather all, of the time i've played him. This has led me to some interesting encounters, some good. Some I would rather never happened.
Anyone who's never met Pyrok, but has played MUDs before and knows what the standard RP/IC definition for 'insanity' is someone who's consistently OOC.
That's not necessarily Pyrok.

Pyrok is "victim" to a curious blend of erratic behaviour, saying one thing and doing another, delusions of grandeur and generally just simple mad-hattery (which is now a word.) A large portion of what I get Pyrok to say or do is spur of the moment, the first thing that pops into my head, and generally improvised.
Pyrok is... for the lack of a better term: unique.
Not unique because of the way I play him, but unique in the way people respond to him, I left Pyrok a completely blank slate when I first started playing him eight or so years ago. Other players have fleshed out Pyrok for me in a way.

Personally, I try hard to make Pyrok sane. It's not easy since I've agreed every time someone said he was insane. I tried for a while to refute it, saying "I'm not insane, I'm just eccentric."
It never really took off. It's simpler to say he's insane. So, Pyrok is insane.
So those of you who peruse this forum, but do not or have yet to play Akanbar now know a little bit about the resident nutter in the world.

Some people have met me outside of Akanbar, through other outlets, and some have stated (based of some really bad photos of me) that i even -look- crazy. So I suppose in a way, Pyrok is me. The ultimate roleplay opportunity lays before me, since the best or easiest way to roleplay is to react as if you're in that situation right then and there.

So I guess what I'm getting at is Pyrok's considered insane, and I suppose by extension so am I. "Art imitates life"?