Wiki Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiki Thoughts

You'll have seen the new Wiki that Jaethor and I have opened up. However, after the first article has gone in, I'm starting to wonder if this really is the best way of doing it. I have a few concerns about how easy/difficult it will be to edit other peoples work. I'm also not convinced about the idea of commenting at the bottom. At the moment it's our only option, because there isn't really an option to edit (for the better!) other peoples work. Thoughts?
    This may work, or could even be better
    0%
    We'll probably need something more like a standard wiki
    0%

The poll is expired.

I agree that the commenting is odd, but it can be helpful for things like pointing out misinformation or mistakes. I'm not entirely sure that being unable to edit others' pages is awesome, as I like to think the playerbase is responsible enough to use a privilege like that...responsibly. But if it can't be done, it can't be done. I like having the Wiki tied right into the forums, it makes things concise and easy to find - especially new players. All in all, I'm in favor of how things are currently.
    Zycandos and Jaethor's karaoke rendition of 'I Feel Pretty'.

Jaethor goes solo with 'The Sound of Music'.

Minstrel Sharallin sings: "The lord of revenants is a withered man, sunken by age and evil. But his blood is sweet, say the young men - and they should know?"
    Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "((Stop breaking Akanbar.))"

Comment

It is possible to buy some wiki software, its about 70 dollars. If the majority of people believe that this method won't work, then I'll look into purchasing it. If we can manage with this, even better because then we'll be able to put the money towards something else. Like vBulletin 5 which is out soon. lol

Comment

Mmm, software purchases...sounds like a good reason to open up an auction, huh huh

(not that I can participate, but eh!)

Minstrel Sharallin sings: "The lord of revenants is a withered man, sunken by age and evil. But his blood is sweet, say the young men - and they should know?"

Comment

My first impressions of the current wiki are positive. I like it a lot. Only time will tell in the end though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimetrius View Post
            Mmm, software purchases...sounds like a good reason to open up an auction, huh huh
            For what its worth, I would definitely participate. I always regretted never having the money to before - I won't miss my chance again!
            We are both of us merchants, and I'll promise you one thing. We will not laugh until we get the money, and we will not cry until we go bankrupt. And guess what? We are going to laugh.

Comment

I have yet to look at the wiki. What is the address to it?

Comment

You're on it. Click 'Articles'.

Comment

Oh my... can I request that the old wiki be restored. This is... I mean it is nice, but it is starting all over. *Gag* Oh well.

Comment

The last Wiki was player-run, so that's really outside of the admins' hands. As it was mostly just copy-pasta from skill lists and help files, though, you really aren't missing much! People just need to start adding things.

Comment

People need to start adding things... my "Create" is greyed out. Is this intentional? Or... I am confused then, how are we as players supposed to add to the Articles?

Comment

I'm just sort of at a loss on where to begin. We shouldn't be copying things directly from the game, but the writing is supposed to be left to the 'experts'...as much as I liked the idea to begin with, it just sort of seems like a lotta'do about nothing now.

Comment

No need to get pouty. Both Ilessa and I were just expressing our personal views on the matter. We're players too and get to have opinions, even if we are better looking.

You can make blogs or articles and whatnot. Articles were created in hopes of bringing the wiki traffic away from an external website and to the mud's website because it got to be "You want to complete quest X? Here's everything you need to do. Oh, You need to know skill info about your enemy? Here, take this." It was out of hand and ruining/spoiling a lot of things for players.

As for your create being greyed out, that's odd. I'll look into it.

Edit: By the way, you know "Create" isn't a button, right? You go "Create Article" and click "Go"
                          Tick tock goes the clock until you feel my ire. You'll lose your voice and turn to rock and lose what you desire.

Comment

Oh, I wasn't being pouty! I agree with what both of you said on that blog post, at least a majority of it. I'm really just sort of wondering, what even is there to write about?

I guess the real question is, what would YOU guys like to see us contributing to the wiki, at least to start?

Comment

@ Jaethor: AH! I see now. lol... another silly mistake it seems. I am curious, can we only add articles in our respective cities? I ask this because I am only given that option when I am in the Elysium section.

In regards to what Dimetrius said: I agree... i want to help add 'something' to this... as having two articles is depressing. However, what exactly are we to be wanting here? obviously that is a difficult question to answer since it is so general.

(also, the article in the Guides section... i can't see it. Says there is one, but it doesn't appear?)

Comment

Working...
                              X