This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Day,

If you do not feel like reading, skip down to the bold text and don't complain when I scold you for breaking a temporary rule.

I am approached on a daily basis both on this idea thread (I would like to think you all are speaking to Me when you talk here unless you are being insulting. Then you are speaking to Lord Bralnok) as well as via messages and tells with ideas.

Many ideas are well-thought out, others whimsical fancies thought up during your afternoon lunch. Unfortunately, to most of these ideas, I reply with something along the lines of, "We are not looking for additions to that area just yet" if it is via tells or messages and mentally putting pins in the idea post if it is via forums.

To all ideas posed, they stem from something real, a yearning for either more roleplay, more mental stimulation, more brainless grinding, more areas, more interesting armour, more whatever-the-heck.

As such, I have decided that instead of constantly saying what I am not looking for, I will propose a problem or an area that I might be interested in improving as let us be honest, as I do this for fun, I improve areas sometimes on a personal interest into it.

Now, before I say the current theme, allow Me to set some ground rules:
    • I am well aware that Golgonath has no patron. I am also aware that the X-Y-Z guild is horrid, tower raid times might be disagreeable, etc. Please don't waste this as a time for ranting about things I know about and have no control over.
    • Discuss things. Explain why someone's idea is wrong. Don't get angry or violent when someone says your idea is wrong. If they can do it, so can I, but I'll do so in a less-friendly manner.
    • Alternatively, explain why someone's idea is right. If you genuinely like an idea, speak up. If I hear someone suggest making everyone's shoes purple and you lot are quiet as a rock, I'm going to assume it's such a godawful idea, no one wants to touch it even to say so.
    • If you cannot explain your idea in a paragraph (5 sentences) or two, I am at liberty to throw stones. If you write a long idea, please put in a tl;dr for when it's 6am, I'm blindly stumbling through posts and not wanting to read a novel.
    • If I list a new theme, please try not to continue the old one. It typically means, "OK, we're done now"
    • Feel free to post normal ideas that don't fit in the theme. I'm just doing this to help you lot out.
    • Posting an idea doesn't guarantee it'll be approved, as always, but if you make your case and after people tear it to shreds and it still looks good, chances are it'll be added.
    • If I get enough positive feedback from this, I'll continue to hold these on a possibly weekly basis, improving and honing Akanbar.

Now, without further delays, I'll give this week's (or until I remember to change) theme:
    What changes to Akanbar that can be done via code do you believe will improve your city's sense of culture, communication, unity, atmosphere or overall domestic being.

Ideas can range from something like "I think we should be able to tailor city-themed banners to hang around the city" to something more complex. This is generally anything-goes, but must be domestic only- nothing relating to international affairs.

Thank you and I hope to hear some excellent ideas!
    Tick tock goes the clock until you feel my ire. You'll lose your voice and turn to rock and lose what you desire.

Comment

• Chieftains/Senators/Masters having the ability to vote on making holidays for the city, and maybe during those holidays a festival will show up where there are games and different types of food you would not be able to make can be purchased there.

Adding a sense of culture to city guards... Much like our Serfs, clansman, and citizens or Shaman, warden, and Pyromancer. Guards could take on characteristics of the guilds of their city offer. Templar, legionair, and warrior. 'this could be also said about anything in the city: boats, mounts, etc.'

Furnishings, having each city being able to make their own types of furnishings. Like Ysallran's could make couches made from vines or Golgonian's make spiked thrones.

Pretty much anything to make the cities more different then just the people within it. I like to know that I am in Elysium other than when I hit the 4 and 1 key on my numpad multiple times.

Sorry if my ideas seem small, I like the little changes. More individuality to Akanbar!
      Tis' Only a Flesh Wound! Bring the Bunny Back!

Comment

• Originally posted by Detahn View Post
        Chieftains/Senators/Masters having the ability to vote on making holidays for the city, and maybe during those holidays a festival will show up where there are games and different types of food you would not be able to make can be purchased there.
        I really like this idea- holidays could entail anything from ceremonial, wedding festivities, havest celebrations, even be held in honour of a certain person, or Patron. With the festivities in mind, you could possibly offer some sort of a booth that people could set up temporarily while the holiday is going on, to sell various wares and goods. As far as games go, competitions of strength could be held, or set up rounds of spars. I would love to see jousting...but I don't know how hard that would be to code, honestly.

Comment

Furnishings, having each city being able to make their own types of furnishings. Like Ysallran's could make couches made from vines or Golgonian's make spiked thrones.!

This has actually always been a pet peeve of mine that I would like to see implemented, even with our current lack of furnishings I always see a table with a dragons head... which I assume has to do more with Mordikhan but always makes me think of Elysium.

My idea here would be a similar festival idea that Shax is talking about, but make it world wide and not just realm wide. I'm not saying offer goods to city enemies, but perhaps once a year hold a full out festival where people can sell perhaps jewelry or paintings they have collected over the years (Basically anything that won't 'aide' the enemy) Have fighters fight one another, even though David would probably win it could still be fun for those of us who still care about the PvP.
          Commander Joscelin says, "Sup puppets."
          A marionette bashes Commander Joscelin with its heavy wooden fists.

Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "For nineteen minutes I liked you"

Comment

Chieftains/Senators/Masters having the ability to vote on making holidays for the city, and maybe during those holidays a festival will show up where there are games and different types of food you would not be able to make can be purchased there.

Adding a sense of culture to city guards... Much like our Serfs, clansman, and citizens or Shaman, warden, and Pyromancer. Guards could take on characteristics of the guilds of their city offer. Templar, legionair, and warrior. 'this could be also said about anything in the city: boats, mounts, etc.'

Furnishings, having each city being able to make their own types of furnishings. Like Ysallran's could make couches made from vines or Golgonian's make spiked thrones.

Pretty much anything to make the cities more different then just the people within it. I like to know that I am in Elysium other than when I hit the 4 and 1 key on my numpad multiple times.

Sorry if my ideas seem small, I like the little changes. More individuality to Akanbar!

I agree with everything this guy said... he is apparently a flawless genius who knows what he is talking about and everything thing he stated I believe should be implemented into the game.

That is all, Detahn out.

Comment

Chieftains/Senators/Masters having the ability to vote on making holidays for the city
              This is a possibility. Concerning the last half of your sentence, I'd prefer if the city itself (the players) threw the festival in honor of the holiday. I want further debate on this.

Originally posted by Detahn View Post
              Adding a sense of culture to city guards
              This has been suggested a few times possibly all by you, but most likely by other players. I'd like to see other peoples' thoughts on this.

Furnishings, having each city being able to make their own types of furnishings.
              Ok.

Originally posted by Shax View Post
              With the festivities in mind, you could possibly offer some sort of a booth that people could set up temporarily while the holiday is going on
              Hmm... I would like others' opinions on this one. Debate Shax's poor-man's shop.

Originally posted by Shax View Post
              I would love to see jousting
              Lances and the like already exist, but perhaps I'll give jousting a boost. I do wish more players would use that as well as archery, but I believe that before they will, they need an upgrade.

Originally posted by roeshak View Post
              My idea here would be a similar festival idea that Shax is talking about, but make it world wide and not just realm wide.
              Hmm, you're dipping out of the realm of domestic affairs. It's a good idea, but that'd be something I'd run, not the city. Generic not looking for this right now response.

I agree with everything this guy said... he is apparently a flawless genius who knows what he is talking about and everything thing he stated I believe should be implemented into the game.

That is all, Detahn out.
              A shame what happened to his legs, though. That lightning bolt just came out of nowhere. It was tragic, really. We're still trying to figure out what happened to his face, though.
              Tick tock goes the clock until you feel my ire. You'll lose your voice and turn to rock and lose what you desire.

Comment

• Originally posted by roeshak View Post
                My idea here would be a similar festival idea that Shax is talking about, but make it world wide and not just realm wide. I'm not saying offer goods to city enemies, but perhaps once a year hold a full out festival where people can sell perhaps jewelry or paintings they have collected over the years (Basically anything that won't 'aide' the enemy) Have fighters fight one another, even though David would probably win it could still be fun for those of us who still care about the PvP.
                It just seems to me it would be easier to control if it was run by each city and held in that city. Only non-enemies would be able to get in, so there wouldn't be any drama over who is running what booth, and won't sell to said people, because of various ridiculous reasons in the past that got them enemied to "insert city".

As for that poor-man's shop- I was thinking it would be city constructed, for a cost of...say...twenty wood and some iron, plus the cost of rental from the city. Maybe glass, too, depending on what it would be designed to look like. It would need to be something that you could enter, though, then drop goods, price them and people who examine the booth/cart/dilapidated hut from the outside can see the goods and purchase them. In my opinion I don't see why it couldn't be set up -anywhere- the city wanted it to be. In Golgonath, for instance, we might have several hangings scheduled and decide to hold an event in Executioner's Square as a part of it. We'd have to keep Xargoran away from the moonshine, but I think it'd be a lot of fun, and could even offer some roleplay incentive. Not sure how you'd handle the booths after the holiday was over. The only thing I could think of was that the city would then have a command to deconstruct booth.
                Last edited by Shax; 11 August 2012, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• Boosting jousting and archery sounds like an amazing idea!
                  Neither of them have really had much use for the majority of sparring reasons, seeing as you pretty get the same damage from a lariot and archery you have to switch the weapon back plus wield your shield if need be, more of a hassle than just running in swinging. I would love to see an improvement there.

Not sure I understand the idea behind 'culture' to city guards, I mean all of our guards look different we have different mages and even have different serf/citizen/clansman. That seems fair enough because they are only really used for warfare reasoning.

Booths in the Square or elsewhere in the city as permanent booths -thumbs down- they'll end up dormant and never being used and we'll end up with 10 booths with no reason to use them.

My idea: Themes! I would love for something like the theatre to open back up, allow us to maybe write a play schedule it as an event. Maybe be able to make costumes? But only for said event. I mean we could have plenty with the clothing we currently have though, but few people actually know what the differences are in the descriptions based off of the type of material used. Wool shirt to a silk shirt? Total difference. As an extension in this idea, perhaps alter the players description to show the detail in some sort of way?

Comment

Booths in the Square or elsewhere in the city as permanent booths -thumbs down- they'll end up dormant and never being used and we'll end up with 10 booths with no reason to use them.

My idea: Themes! I would love for something like the theatre to open back up, allow us to maybe write a play schedule it as an event. Maybe be able to make costumes? But only for said event. I mean we could have plenty with the clothing we currently have though, but few people actually know what the differences are in the descriptions based off of the type of material used. Wool shirt to a silk shirt? Total difference. As an extension in this idea, perhaps alter the players description to show the detail in some sort of way?
                    Okay- which is why I suggest that the city be able to desconstruct them. Potentially getting some of the commodities back, even though I think they should just be used up completely. The person purchasing the booth for use would be paying for the commodities, and the city could include it in rental cost. That; or allow the city to construct a "fair-ground" where booths can be constructed as needed, and be left there permanently. The city could close the ground after the festivities end, and people would have to pack up and move their stuff out.

I like the idea of suggesting a theme and having people write a play to perform for an event, along with wearing costumes for it- that will fill my purse when they buy clothes from my shop, and give me a reason to add variety...

But there isn't any guarantee that people will bother participating anymore than they do in any other event. I do like the idea, though, because it would allow a lot of roleplay. Plays could even be done to re-enact events from history.

Comment

Not sure I understand the idea behind 'culture' to city guards, I mean all of our guards look different we have different mages and even have different serf/citizen/clansman. That seems fair enough because they are only really used for warfare reasoning.
                      I was just talking about the guards, not mages or citizens. I mean it seems rather odd that our guards don't choose a guild within the city. they are citizens, why not have them in a guild. Much like our Pyro/warden/shaman counterparts. I know they look different it just doesn't seem right just calling them guards of "city". I'm a guard, but I'm also a Templar. Which do you think people would call me? "Yeah Detahn, I've heard of him. Isn't he a 'guard' in Elysium?" <-- I wouldn't... no-siry-bob.

Comment

I was just talking about the guards, not mages or citizens. I mean it seems rather odd that our guards don't choose a guild within the city. they are citizens, why not have them in a guild. [...]I'm a guard, but I'm also a Templar..
                        "Help 17.7

[...] The basic fee level for archers, infantry and cavalry is 3 copper pieces per
                        man per month for troops within the city walls and 4 copper pieces outside of
                        the city walls, while a mage (Storm Warden, Shaman or Pyromancer) will demand
                        6 copper pieces per month or 7 if they are outside the city walls. Knight
                        types (Templar, Shadow Warriors or Legionnaires), while not always available,
                        will work for free.
                        [...]"

I think the guards -were- supposed to be that way? Though I don't know whether that didn't pan out, was pushed off of the table, or nicked altogether. I did always entertain the fancy of seeing Templars/Shadow Warriors/Legion walking around the city walls protecting (which is one of their purposes, right?)

Though on to another topic, Though I do like Shax's idea of a poor-man's shop, being deconstructed for a fraction of the commodities used. (Reusing wooden support beams, awnings, signs, and the booths every year after deconstructing the booth should count for something, right?)
                        Last edited by derris; 12 August 2012, 06:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by derris View Post
                          "Help 17.7

[...] The basic fee level for archers, infantry and cavalry is 3 copper pieces per
                          man per month for troops within the city walls and 4 copper pieces outside of
                          the city walls, while a mage (Storm Warden, Shaman or Pyromancer) will demand
                          6 copper pieces per month or 7 if they are outside the city walls. Knight
                          types (Templar, Shadow Warriors or Legionnaires), while not always available,
                          will work for free.
                          [...]"

I think the guards -were- supposed to be that way?
                          That is the help file for the armies. Though I do agree with what you are saying.

Comment

• The idea behind guards, much like the 'warrior' guild is they are the guards of the city. I guess it would be kind of cool to implement runesmith/forsaken/assassin type guards. The assassin guards I don't think should be able to get mixing though, make it similar to the stigmata skill perhaps? Because if in fact we allow the guards to be 'guild' members then you are talking about giving them the skills, like the guild tutors have. You ever fought the warden guild tutor? She ain't easy that's for sure. I nerf this idea myself because I think it would overpower the whole war and tower raiding a lot which people don't even really do as it is. we are in another pretty much dormant war as it is. The guards don't look the same and the are modeled after the warriors of the city.

Comment

• All I am saying is give them the name, no need to make this bigger than what I think it should be... We already have wardens/pyros/shamans and NONE of them can do stigmata... I'm just saying instead of "Guards" they be called something else. like Templar/Legion/Warrior/Runesmith/Saken... to add a little individuality to the guards. That is it, that is all I'm trying to say. No skills, no extra abilities that need nerfing. Just a name.

It's the Simple stuff that make me happy.

: )

Have a nice day everyone!

Comment

• Just a small announcement: If you have a merchant/trader/crafter character who has logged on in the last 14 days, please speak to Me. I don't want people dragging out their dusty merchants from 2009. If you haven't logged on that character in the past 14 days, you are not applicable to My request. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X