Cartography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cartography

In my spare time, I've been fiddling with the idea of mapping the world of Akanbar. This thread will house some of the products I am rather proud of, subject to change and meet replacement as I explore different software and techniques.

First up is a (terrible) rendering of Golgonath's streets. The black squares represent shops, the dark brown squares (that also look like black squares, go go terribad quality) lead into guildhalls, the half-brown squares represent temples, and the lone light brown square is the commodity centre.

Given that I started off with a basic square-per-room scale, half of the streets align and connect perfectly while the others do not. Maybe while these areas are still not completely described, we should have some rooms cut out so it all fits snug...hmm! Not shown are housing plots, because [censored] that noise, as well as areas that simply would not fit in a nice manner with the size limitations I imposed (the Black Tower and underground garden, for instance).
    Last edited by Dimetrius; 14 January 2013, 01:00 PM.
    Zycandos and Jaethor's karaoke rendition of 'I Feel Pretty'.

Jaethor goes solo with 'The Sound of Music'.

Minstrel Sharallin sings: "The lord of revenants is a withered man, sunken by age and evil. But his blood is sweet, say the young men - and they should know?"
    Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "((Stop breaking Akanbar.))"

Went a bit smaller for the second trial, utilizing the same tools but also the scale of the game map. Much cleaner results (though I'm not exactly sure why the grid and background are preserved for this shot, but not the former).

Name that village?

Minstrel Sharallin sings: "The lord of revenants is a withered man, sunken by age and evil. But his blood is sweet, say the young men - and they should know?"

Comment

Kervoza! Haha. I like the second one I can actually see the brown and stuff
      Seig is rather Dashing and Charming no?

Dashing Seig says, "We should run an ass slapping train on dat phat booty"
      2240/2240h 280/280m 58xp >
      Words to Live By:
      "I dont assume to understand women" -Sir Magnum Veritan 2016
      "...and RNGesus hates me cause I don't believe in him so..." -myself 2016

Comment

Just a small plug, if anyone wants to make drawn out maps (not room-for-room, but like this one, by all means. I'll give out power crystals or something. Don't do it if you draw like a preschooler though, please. It'll be awkward for me to give you crystals then.
        Tick tock goes the clock until you feel my ire. You'll lose your voice and turn to rock and lose what you desire.

Comment

Golgonath, revisited. Again some kind of issue with preserving the background color (likely due to size), though this time the grid was maintained. Remodeled to replicate the scale of the in-game map, which I feel turned out beautifully.

(larger version [here])

Also, for those wondering or just looking for something to play with, [this] is what I've been using. It's pretty great!

OH NOOO, I didn't get rid of that little tumour hanging off of the southwestern end of Docklands. Sob.
          Last edited by Dimetrius; 15 January 2013, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Welsbury and Barthon Wood. Used funny little objects (bookcases? I have no idea!) to mark up/down exits, not sure if I like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimetrius View Post
              Went a bit smaller for the second trial, utilizing the same tools but also the scale of the game map. Much cleaner results (though I'm not exactly sure why the grid and background are preserved for this shot, but not the former).

Name that village?
              Khazir? I Win!

Comment

You lose, it's Kervoza! :b

Comment

Working...
                X