Portal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portal?

I've been using portal for a little while now, and I was wondering, does anyone know if theres a way to list several keywords inside a single trigger, and have the same command fire when any one of those keywords are... triggered? It seems so simple, but for some reason, I just can't get it to work. there doesn't seem to be a way to put a string as the trigger text.
    We are both of us merchants, and I'll promise you one thing. We will not laugh until we get the money, and we will not cry until we go bankrupt. And guess what? We are going to laugh.

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
    I've been using portal for a little while now, and I was wondering, does anyone know if theres a way to list several keywords inside a single trigger, and have the same command fire when any one of those keywords are... triggered? It seems so simple, but for some reason, I just can't get it to work. there doesn't seem to be a way to put a string as the trigger text.
    as far as i know you need a different trigger for each keyword
    Hi. I don't have anything interesting or funny to put here, so I just left a generic placeholder till I do. Bye!

Comment

crappy. Oh well. I got sick of suffering through portal and finally bought cmud yesterday anyways.
      We are both of us merchants, and I'll promise you one thing. We will not laugh until we get the money, and we will not cry until we go bankrupt. And guess what? We are going to laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
        crappy. Oh well. I got sick of suffering through portal and finally bought cmud yesterday anyways.

Cmud, two thumbs up! A friend had portal, z/cmud all the way.

P.S.: Nice sig!

Comment

There is no real way to put multiple strings for one trigger on Portal. This is a very big draw back when wanting to limit mass triggers.

The only real way to set up one trigger to look for multiple things is with variables... Even then it is very limited.

1) The strings have to be VERY similar in order for this to work... pretty much exactly except 2-4 words.
          2)You have to make a variable for every reaction to every action you think could happen in said string...
          Note: portal variables will record everything past the location it is set, meaning you WILL have to set up
          want you want portal to look for. Other wise you will get something like this. * is for variable.

* swings at you with an *. 1st var is @AA 2nd is @BB

If it were Sir Magnum swinging at you than the variable will be Sir Magnum and not just Magnum. I found a little bit of a problem with this and trying to target the person swinging, cause portal would make me target "Sir"
          So... you would have to make a trigger with a bunch of variables to equal several strings.

;if @AA=Sir Magnum then tar Magnum
          ;if @AA=the swordsman then tar swordsman
          and so on... quite annoying and slows down your reaction time if you have many of these in the one trigger.

I've been using portal now for many years... and I can say it is pretty stupid proof and has many limitations.

Hope this help more than it confused....
          Tis' Only a Flesh Wound! Bring the Bunny Back!

Comment

Originally posted by Detahn View Post
            2)You have to make a variable for every reaction to every action you think could happen in said string...
            Note: portal variables will record everything past the location it is set, meaning you WILL have to set up
            want you want portal to look for. Other wise you will get something like this. * is for variable.

* swings at you with an *. 1st var is @AA 2nd is @BB

If it were Sir Magnum swinging at you than the variable will be Sir Magnum and not just Magnum. I found a little bit of a problem with this and trying to target the person swinging, cause portal would make me target "Sir"
            So... you would have to make a trigger with a bunch of variables to equal several strings.

;if @AA=Sir Magnum then tar Magnum
            ;if @AA=the swordsman then tar swordsman
            I take it Portal doesn't support Lua?

Cause that's...a pretty silly issue, which could easily be worked around in almost any other client.
            Zycandos and Jaethor's karaoke rendition of 'I Feel Pretty'.

Jaethor goes solo with 'The Sound of Music'.

Minstrel Sharallin sings: "The lord of revenants is a withered man, sunken by age and evil. But his blood is sweet, say the young men - and they should know?"
            Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "((Stop breaking Akanbar.))"

Comment

Portal's clunky, but it has its upsides...
              It's basically a client for those who still want to do SOME stuff manually.
              Let's make 'em scream

Comment

ive always used portal and probably always will simply because it's what i've grown up on. there is a way you can pretty much do everything and its very simple. i'd say if all else fails it is a great starter client to walk you through basics and a small step into more advanced threads.

and as far as detahns thread goes. 'Sir' WOULD NOT mess up that variable. magnum was the first previous word so it would be used, not the two words before it. If anyone has any more specific questions on portal, i love to experiment and surprise everyone with how capable this less advanced client is

Comment

"Simple" way to do it? AKA the way I do it cause I'm not exactly brilliant at things like this? Use akanbar's built in targetting commands, then grab the string which is something like
                  You have set target #1 as: Mynameis
                  Open up your variables list, add a new variable called @target (or @foe or any other word you can think of)
                  Then open up your event manager and add in the 'You have set target #1 as:....' but replace the last phrase (obviously the name) as a *. Portal will then tell you to select a variable, there is a blue @ symbol on the right side of the new event window, click that and select your new target variable, and click 'Add selected variable'. and hey presto you've got a new target event.
                  Let's make 'em scream

Comment

Originally posted by Aiolos View Post
                    ive always used portal and probably always will simply because it's what i've grown up on. there is a way you can pretty much do everything and its very simple. i'd say if all else fails it is a great starter client to walk you through basics and a small step into more advanced threads.

and as far as detahns thread goes. 'Sir' WOULD NOT mess up that variable. magnum was the first previous word so it would be used, not the two words before it. If anyone has any more specific questions on portal, i love to experiment and surprise everyone with how capable this less advanced client is
                    I really enjoyed Portal when I first started in Akanbar (and mudding in general). It's a great, simple way to learn about aliases, triggers, etc. I probably would have stayed with it if the mapper was a little more flexible in editing it, like the mess around Treganos (sp?) just before the Plains of Ash.
                    A presence has rewarded you with his favour.

Zycandos, God of Creation tells you, "For bothering to be interesting!"

Comment

Working...
                    X