zMUD in Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zMUD in Vista

Figured I'd address a problem I've heard a few run into in the past.

Should you ever find the courage to install Vista onto your machine or if it just came installed with it, you'll more than likely run into a little problem getting zMUD to run in it.

When you fire it up, it will come up with an error, something along the lines of:
    "Error: Access violation at 0x7792785B (tried to write to 0x00EE0FFC), program terminated."

Fixing this is simple, you just have to set it to run as administrator;

1. Find the folder you installed zMUD into (C:\Program Files\zMUD by default)
    2. Right click on zMUD.exe and select "Properties"
    3. Click on the "Compatability" tab and select "Run this program as an administrator"
    4. Click "Ok" and run again! Tada!

The issue is with that "User Access Control" feature I'm sure you've gotten to hate by now, you know, when that scary dark shroud appears over your screen and asks you if you're sure you want to run/edit/delete/etc things. Of course, you can just bypass this headache (and I'm sure more to follow) by disabling the UAC. Which of course, isn't recommended by Microsoft and Windows -will- let you know that.

Hopefully this solves your problem with running zMUD in Vista and you can go back to playing Akanbar as you were with all of us!

Do I take it this means you've given up in your hunt for a CMud coder? Laugh

Comment

Yes! If you could be so kind as to delete that thread? I also have a key for cmud I won't be using on it's way... still figuring out what to do with that.

Comment

Thanks for posting that tidbit, good information in the event I wind up with Vista (shudder).
        Faith is the virtue of the storm...

Comment

I've never had that issue, but I'm both the administrator on my laptop, and turned off User Access Control since I keep my computer secure in other ways and having to confirm every little action ticked me off.

Comment

portal?

can you do the same with portal on vista and it work?

Comment

An answer

yep, just like zmud
              In every great storm lies a great calm.

Comment

Working...
              X