No announcement yet.

New Java Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, don't know if this is possible, but...

Is there a way to put in a redirect or something, that you can connect to the client as per your usual http page on port 80, then it redirects to telnet on port 23? I'm just bugged that the firewall at work wont let me telnet through
    Hi. I don't have anything interesting or funny to put here, so I just left a generic placeholder till I do. Bye!

Comment

I've been working on port redirection in ten minute increments every few days, since port 23 is typically blocked by businesses and overly-secure places. To be honest, this might be something for Zycandos to handle via Akanbar's coding (allowing a different port to be accessed). We'll see.
      Tick tock goes the clock until you feel my ire. You'll lose your voice and turn to rock and lose what you desire.

Comment

Ideally, for me at least, let akanbar access port 80, cause it's the only port i can access i think, not sure how to check... Stupid macca's wifi sucks :-(

Edit:: I found this site, which apparantly does it, but only for whitelisted sites... maybe see if they can tell you how? or whitelist akanbar?

http://mosha.net/01-telnet-gateway/telnet.shtml
        Last edited by Alaxandria; 2 February 2012, 12:06 PM.
        Hi. I don't have anything interesting or funny to put here, so I just left a generic placeholder till I do. Bye!

Comment

Testing the New Client

Greetings again, mortal morsels

After having a few mortals test the client and find minor and major bugs, I am releasing the java client onto the forums for what I hope will be the last round of testing. Please note that I am not looking for suggestions on additional features as I am unable to devote much more time to this java client. At a later time, I may add features, but please do not post ideas.

If you still are stubborn on suggesting features, these are the ones that I acknowledge the java client does not have that I should add:
          • Logging
          • Health and Mana gauge
          • Select-able Text
          • More complex triggers (I probably will never add this)
          • If you suggest any more, I will assume you cannot read and will sign up your email for as many newsletters as I can possibly find in an effort to get you to read more.

I forgot about your bright mode that a few players have suggested, so I will work on that one.

The link to the java client is located at: http://akanbar.com:21300/javatest/index.html

Should you find any errors with it, please post them here. I would like for players to test it before it is put up onto the site (alongside the original) as new players will utilize such and having them interact with a bugged interface will result in a diminished sense of the mud.

Signed,
          Jaethor
          Tick tock goes the clock until you feel my ire. You'll lose your voice and turn to rock and lose what you desire.

Comment

This morsel is pleased, indeed.
            Zycandos and Jaethor's karaoke rendition of 'I Feel Pretty'.

Jaethor goes solo with 'The Sound of Music'.

Minstrel Sharallin sings: "The lord of revenants is a withered man, sunken by age and evil. But his blood is sweet, say the young men - and they should know?"
            Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "((Stop breaking Akanbar.))"

Comment

Little insignificant morsel here...

The new client looks great so far, but there are some tings that has been bugging me.

At times, the map doesn't always update correctly. I've seen it skip lines.
              At The Trader's Enclave a whole horisontal line with shops and roads turned green, with a the horizontal line directly above it missing.
              When I'm carried down by the river, the map shows my promt in the top line of the map window.

The tells log window sometimes dominate the right side, overlapping the menu buttons and map. Oddly enough, if I to select text at the where-would-be map section, the text selected will be updated with the map.
              I can't push the menu buttons while the tells log dominates the right side.
              I've also seen the tells log only dominate the menu, leaving the map area.
              Everytime the tells log domiates things, the scroll bars disappear on it. I can't scroll with the mouse scroll either. (Which I can when tells log behaves like it should.)

Sometimes when I move the mouse out of the java client, it triggers the tells log domination behaviour.
              As I'm writing, I see everything perfectly when the mouse is out of the client. When I put the mouse into the client, to I click on the menu buttons, the tells log dominates and I'm unable to click the menu buttons. Sometimes random clicking on the commandline, just outside the client and/or the main window seems to fix it temporarily. But the problem returns after a while.

When useing some of my internal walking macros, the client sometimes slip an empty line in between locations.
              Also, ealier today I noticed some 'random' bits of gray-blackish code, primarily when I went to a new location which required a different map to be showed. And another bit of code when I located a certain lantern. (The random code thing doesn't seem to happen now for some reason. It got fixed?)

In OS X Snow Leopard the 'map text' is smaller, so it doesn't fit the map window as good as on Windows 7.

On another note, I've never really been using any client other than the Java Client. (Using Mudwalker for mac the last 4 months only for it's logging capabilities.) So when/if logging and or select-able text will be added, I'll use this java client full time, if I'm not going to already.

Can we make the tells log also log our sent tells? Either that or I'll have to fix my own forgetfullness.

tl;dr: map acts weird at times, and so does tells log. But I really like the new client.
              Last edited by Manazyri; 3 April 2012, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Hmm, thank you a lot for your feedback. Hopefully, I'll be able to address each bit.

The map skipping lines is a problem I know and cannot seem to solve (I am aware of when and why it is happening, but it is an issue with telnet's ability to process changes in colors, which maps do frequently.)

I will attempt to fix the river issue, however.

The tells box issue of it expanding is one I have been told about by another, but I cannot seem to be able to replicate it. I will put in a few more prods to keep it a set size, but I will not be able to find out if it works without a player's assistance.

I will look into the empty line issue with internal walking macros, though I cannot guarantee anything as it is a minor issue and I may not be able to fix it (not to say my knowledge or power have limits).

If erm you could privately message me the bits of code, that would be great. I do not want trade secrets getting out!

Selectable text and logging wouldn't be added until the next iteration because bananas.

Sending tells being included is entirely possible. If others have strong opposition or support for such, please speak up now.

Originally posted by Manazyri View Post
                Little insignificant morsel here...

The new client looks great so far, but there are some tings that has been bugging me.

At times, the map doesn't always update correctly. I've seen it skip lines.
                At The Trader's Enclave a whole horisontal line with shops and roads turned green, with a the horizontal line directly above it missing.
                When I'm carried down by the river, the map shows my promt in the top line of the map window.

The tells log window sometimes dominate the right side, overlapping the menu buttons and map. Oddly enough, if I to select text at the where-would-be map section, the text selected will be updated with the map.
                I can't push the menu buttons while the tells log dominates the right side.
                I've also seen the tells log only dominate the menu, leaving the map area.
                Everytime the tells log domiates things, the scroll bars disappear on it. I can't scroll with the mouse scroll either. (Which I can when tells log behaves like it should.)

Sometimes when I move the mouse out of the java client, it triggers the tells log domination behaviour.
                As I'm writing, I see everything perfectly when the mouse is out of the client. When I put the mouse into the client, to I click on the menu buttons, the tells log dominates and I'm unable to click the menu buttons. Sometimes random clicking on the commandline, just outside the client and/or the main window seems to fix it temporarily. But the problem returns after a while.

When useing some of my internal walking macros, the client sometimes slip an empty line in between locations.
                Also, ealier today I noticed some 'random' bits of gray-blackish code, primarily when I went to a new location which required a different map to be showed. And another bit of code when I located a certain lantern. (The random code thing doesn't seem to happen now for some reason. It got fixed?)

In OS X Snow Leopard the 'map text' is smaller, so it doesn't fit the map window as good as on Windows 7.

On another note, I've never really been using any client other than the Java Client. (Using Mudwalker for mac the last 4 months only for it's logging capabilities.) So when/if logging and or select-able text will be added, I'll use this java client full time, if I'm not going to already.

Can we make the tells log also log our sent tells? Either that or I'll have to fix my own forgetfullness.

tl;dr: map acts weird at times, and so does tells log. But I really like the new client.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaethor View Post
                  Sending tells being included is entirely possible. If others have strong opposition or support for such, please speak up now.
                  Two thumbs up from this gal!

Edit: Also I've noticed some weirdness with the settings editing, although I'll test more and post about it when I know what kind of weirdness I've seen.
                  Last edited by Ilshara; 3 April 2012, 03:50 AM.

Comment

I noticed the same grayish color code, almost looking like a color code type thing. also I noticed that the prompt bar sometimes does this while walking around

[3720/3720h 465/
                    465m 35xp >]

and then,

the code thing sometimes shows up while it is doing this

[3720/3720h 465/
                    m; 0465m 35xp >]

((code bit is not exact.))

other than that I couldn't find anything to break -sniffle-
                    Seig is rather Dashing and Charming no?

Dashing Seig says, "We should run an ass slapping train on dat phat booty"
                    2240/2240h 280/280m 58xp >
                    Words to Live By:
                    "I dont assume to understand women" -Sir Magnum Veritan 2016
                    "...and RNGesus hates me cause I don't believe in him so..." -myself 2016

Comment

A tell sent to me wasn't included in the tells log. (Afterwards I was randomly chasing an owl) I then pushed the 'Load Settings For Character'.
                      As for the result, the tells log went crazy. It both expanded and put in everything I did, from the tell I didn't get at first, to the first 3 lines of what 'Load Settings For Character' sent to me. + some 'very bad code to see'.

I have a screen recording of the aftermath, if you are interested. I shows the tells log in it's abnormal state, and I scroll through the stuff incase that might help you.

On the more uninteresting side, under trigger settings it says, "Save Current Macro" and "Delete Current Macro"
                      Also, in OS X Snow Leopard, at the top of the Macro, Trigger and Alias settings the "<-", "Back" and "->" have a white background with yellow text. (It is shown in the screen recording as well.) If I remember my testing in Windows 7 correctly, they should have the same brown color as the rest of the menu buttons.
                      Last edited by Manazyri; 4 April 2012, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Changes made to the java client that will be posted hopefully shortly:
                        • Sending tells is now recorded in the tells box
                        • It is now hopefully beyond impossible for Manazyri's tells box to capture all the text that it did.
                        • The trigger save and delete buttons are fixed.
                        • Seig's bug is ignored. (It falls under telnet's inability to process a lot of text at once, so forces it to be on a new line, which is also why you get half of the ansi code.)
                        • When you load settings, you will no longer be spammed. That was purely a mistake.

Comment

At times, when I do some of my longer internal Akanbar macros, it will send the first few lines back properly, then just cut off. Say, when travelling from Travanok to Haddam it will show my progress until it cuts of midways. I'm then surprised to see myself at my destination, when Lucan greets me out of nowhere 2 seconds after.

Occasionally, the tells log will make a name, or some of the tell, go black (turn invisible). When selecting the text in the tells log, it will revert back to its original color.
                          The random text disappearing actually extends to the menu buttons somehow. Having a button(s) with no text on it makes me nervous.

After becomming whole once more (death) the promt is shown in the map window. (Same as when dragged down the river.)
                          It's replicatable, atleast for two deaths.
                          I only get the last two lines of the map in Travanok (Which are kind of useless, heh.), when I go out of the novice barge. There is also a line between the last line of the room description and the prompt.
                          It updates properly when unboarding in Merridan.

Recently, when following someone I noticed that it doesn't show directions.
                          Example: You follow Cherise to At the foot of The great Oak
                          Note the two spaces where the directions should have been. (Well, the formatting of posts removed it, but it should be between between 'Cherise' and 'to')
                          Edit: This seems fixed after the update, that following someone wouldn't update the map

Similar problems:
                          1. When I tumble a target, it shows which direction for me, but for the target (Did testing with Kathrine) it shows 'to the onwards'.
                          2. Hamstringing omits the direction for both me and the target, also if the target is shielded.

Map doesn't update when doing the Gnome Adventures. Well, it's probably not a bug, but it would be nice to have the map update.

A tell beginning with '<' and ending with '>' showed up like this:
                          (person) tells you, ""
                          The latter ' " ' being in italic. Actually, everything after that tell in the tells log was in italic.
                          After doing some testing with Kenan I figured '<' triggers, whatever it triggers.

I captured all that text in the tells log again.
                          Last edited by Manazyri; 2 May 2012, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Greetings, a new iteration of the java client has been uploaded. Most of Manazyri's issues have been resolved and I am working on the rest.

Comment

I begin to have problems with loading my settings.
                              - At times when trying to load them, I'll get the spam. (I see the list of all my macros, triggers and aliases.)
                              Edit: After doing some further testing with this one, it seems that the first time I try to load it, I'll get no text at all: No confirmation on loading the settings, no I'm hungry, and no knowing if I'm enveloped to Mordikhan by accident.
                              * I know that I can still do input though, since moving myself does update the map.
                              * If I try to load the settings again, I'll get the confirmation, then spam and I'm able to recieve text like normally.
                              - Two of my aliases mixed up. So when I tried to do alias 1, I would do alias 1 and alias 2 right after. Alias 2 was not to be found in my settings. This can be solved by loading settings again. This also means I'll have to look through all my settings before synchronizing my settings, when making changes.
                              - In the previous iteration of the Java Client a bit of wild code appeard, while I was loading my settings. It was super effective in adding tons of spaces in that alias. (300+ spaces it seems)

- Going into my Aliases in settings, it says "Insert Alias Name Here". I then press '->' and '<-'. Now it says, "Insert Alias name lhere". ('name' and 'here' in lowercase, and an extra capital 'l' in front of 'here'.) It will continue to do so, until I close and open the settings window.
                              - Doing the same in Triggers leaves everything but the first word in lowercase.
                              - In Macro it will say 'Press Macro button' instead of 'Press a key'

The coloring of "You tell" or "Someone tells you", in the tells log, are at times some random color. I've seen light blue/teal, yellow, green and the normal white so far. Possibly linked with the map colours. When the map colors were removed this issue disappeared.

I got the 'capture it all text in tells box' bug again. No code bits show up in the tells box however.
                              What happened: I sent a tell to Kenan, and the client didn't seem to react on any input right after the tell. I choose to reconnect and everything came in the tells box, until I gave another tell to Kenan.
                              After the bug, the browser window flickers as the map is updated (Moving around or MAP). I have two pictures of the aftermath. Not sure how to describe it with words.

When having a lenthy conversation in tells, the whole client would end up freezing (for 2 seconds or more) for every tell sent or received. I asume it's because all of the tells log updates for every tell sent or received.
                              Last edited by Manazyri; 5 June 2012, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X