Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Java Client

Greetings,

As many of you have heard from posts or conversations, I am redoing the Java Client. Since I do not care for having to redo it several times and edit it multiple times, I would like to add in all the features at once. Naturally, bugs in it are the exception. For note, the old version will be kept as well, since it may be preferred over the beefed up version.

My question to most of you is what features would you like to see in the java client?

I am highly debating triggers/aliases/macros. If I have time, I'll code it, but otherwise, you won't gain that.

The features I have right now:
    - A text editor to write and preview compositions
    - Buttons to take you to the forums or TMS vote button
    - Map that automatically updates upon movement and execution of MAP command (requires you purchase a map. Suck it up.)
    - Reconnect and Disconnect buttons
    - Tells log. I am wondering if this is a good idea or not, so it is a maybe.

Signed,
    Jaethor
    Tick tock goes the clock until you feel my ire. You'll lose your voice and turn to rock and lose what you desire.

Macros and aliases already exist as an in-game function don't they?
    At least to me they do, macros and aliases are kind of the same thing to me.

But a beefed up java client would be definitely interesting.
    Let's make 'em scream

Comment

Just because I'm me (terrible, difficult, impossible), I would request something silly like an option to change the preset ansi colours. Maybe just a 'normal' setting, and a 'bright' setting for the nerds like me who need everything on their screen to be as obnoxious as they are.
      Zycandos and Jaethor's karaoke rendition of 'I Feel Pretty'.

Jaethor goes solo with 'The Sound of Music'.

Minstrel Sharallin sings: "The lord of revenants is a withered man, sunken by age and evil. But his blood is sweet, say the young men - and they should know?"
      Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "((Stop breaking Akanbar.))"

Comment

I want a like button here on the forums, I think a beefed up java client would be great especially since everything you put into it would save per character because I log on from random locations and those of us who use their phones to log in could definitely use something along these lines to save them some trouble. Dimetrius, I like the idea of the colours. I always run into the problem when one java of curing because I'm sorry but when someone is either A) Stabbing you and causing afflictions or B) Rune afflictions or even me personally using psionics, I'm sorry but its next to impossible to cure manually when someone knows what they are doing in using their affliction based guilds.
        Commander Joscelin says, "Sup puppets."
        A marionette bashes Commander Joscelin with its heavy wooden fists.

Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "For nineteen minutes I liked you"

Comment

I think this is a great idea due to the fact that alias' and macros make life a little easier in any text-based game you play. It will also encourage those of lesser mudding skills to stay once they open the new and improved java client. A good advertisement idea to get Akanbar loaded with new players!
          Tis' Only a Flesh Wound! Bring the Bunny Back!

Comment

Keep in mind that the triggers, aliases and macros are a big if. It involves a huge amount of work and as much time as I devote to Akanbar, I may hold off on that update until I have more time to spend on it. The way I would want to do it would involve variables and if/while statements. Doing it without such would be simple and could be done in a day easily. Would you rather have a basic one then a complex one or none at all then a complex one?
            Tick tock goes the clock until you feel my ire. You'll lose your voice and turn to rock and lose what you desire.

Comment

I think simple triggers would be enough for just the Java client. If someone's going to seriously get into Akanbar, or any MUD really, the first thing that they should realize is that more extensive clients exist for a reason. Site clients, to me, have always felt sort of like training wheels; learn the game, get a nice start, then upgrade when you're ready to dive into heavier stuff.
              Zycandos and Jaethor's karaoke rendition of 'I Feel Pretty'.

Jaethor goes solo with 'The Sound of Music'.

Minstrel Sharallin sings: "The lord of revenants is a withered man, sunken by age and evil. But his blood is sweet, say the young men - and they should know?"
              Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "((Stop breaking Akanbar.))"

Comment

I agree with Dimetrius. Just simple ones will help make hunting easier for them and give them a taste of what its like. Then if they decide they want to stay, they can invest in a better client.
                Seig is rather Dashing and Charming no?

Dashing Seig says, "We should run an ass slapping train on dat phat booty"
                2240/2240h 280/280m 58xp >
                Words to Live By:
                "I dont assume to understand women" -Sir Magnum Veritan 2016
                "...and RNGesus hates me cause I don't believe in him so..." -myself 2016

Comment

A better client than Mine... pah.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimetrius
                    Site clients, to me, have always felt sort of like training wheels; learn the game, get a nice start, then upgrade when you're ready to dive into heavier stuff.
                    This is a result of the limiting capacity of most sites' clients.

If Akanbar's client was powerful enough, players wouldn't have to pay $30 to Zuggsoft, and could instead invest that money into the game.

For that matter, if the client was good enough, and particularly if it had the added capacity to log into other servers, it could attract a lot of new people and bring more attention to Akanbar.

Comment

Can you explain the server bit? As in log into other servers than Akanbar? If that's the case, I'm afraid I'm going to say "No".

Comment

Can't say I blame you. I guess I just saw a business opportunity, and that's probably not at all what you had in mind.

Still, in my opinion, the only limiting factor should be the amount of time you think the project deserves. I can't imagine a scenario where having extra features would be a bad thing.

Comment

Aye. I understand the thought behind your idea: If people use our client rather than their simple/non-existent java client, then they might become curious and try out Akanbar since it's right there, in their face.

The issue is that it is similar to a restaurant giving you a coupon for a different restaurant. While occasionally, smelling the food of Akanbar will tempt the customer to eat there instead of the discounted restaurant, it will also encourage current customers to try new muds, since they might not have used that mud due to the lack of a decent client. I would much prefer Akanbar's advertisement come from ads or various mud voting systems (TMS among others.)

The timing is the largest issue with the java client. I naturally want to fill up the java client with amazing features, ranging from varying skins, graphical features and other bits that would make it easy to comfortably play Akanbar on any computer. The issue is that this isn't exactly my real job, but rather a hobby in my free time, which is also devoted to improving Akanbar in other means and, more importantly, real life things (I must reign over mortals in the real world too).

In short, for now, any new changes I'll make to the client, aside from previously mentioned ones, will be small ones. I certainly welcome continued suggestions of any size, but depending on their size, they will be added to the third iteration of the java client instead of the second. It would be at least a few months in the future rather than packaged with the current one.

Comment

Is it possible with an inbuilt logger? Or being able to copy text out of the client?

Screen dumps from the Java Client is a pain...

Comment

Originally posted by Manazyri View Post
                              Is it possible with an inbuilt logger? Or being able to copy text out of the client?

Screen dumps from the Java Client is a pain...
                              To be quite honest, I've received this idea a bit, but copying text out of the client is turning out to be an ordeal I may leave until version two. Logging might be an easier alternative, so I will look into that.

Comment

Working...
                              X