Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novice Stage Poll

Greetings,

Despite my strong dislike for polls on the forum, I have decided to tackle a new hurdle and add something more to My list of things to ponder over a goblet of nectar. After careful consideration and observing the young players of Akanbar, I have come to the conclusion that perhaps the game does not cater to those who are fresh to the realm of Multi-User Dungeons. I have come up with a few starting point concepts that I would like feedback on such and perhaps (I will ready myself with pain-medicine) ideas of your own.
    1. Helpful hints every few minutes- This can be disabled at any time or reenabled. These apply only to novices. They would be of a different color so as to contrast against the game. Beginning time would be after the novice tutorial as the novice tutorial has a reminder system of its own.
    2. A feature during the tutorial that allows for further in-depth explanation. It would be a command.

For note, this thread is for discussing only about the novice stage and changes to make it more helpful. Discussions concerning anything else should will be deleted or frowned at until they delete themselves.
    Tick tock goes the clock until you feel my ire. You'll lose your voice and turn to rock and lose what you desire.

Originally posted by Jaethor View Post
    1. Helpful hints every few minutes- This can be disabled at any time or reenabled. These apply only to novices. They would be of a different color so as to contrast against the game. Beginning time would be after the novice tutorial as the novice tutorial has a reminder system of its own.
    This sounds like a brilliant idea. I feel the tutorial itself does its job well enough, but the novices I've seen often find themselves completely lost after a certain point. There isn't even a definitive message when their tutorial has ended, so they are simply bombarded with congratulations and welcoming as they look about in confusion.

While I feel that, personally, I do a well enough job of guiding the little ones that fancy a pass through Golgonath, I understand that not everyone has the capacity (or indeed, patience) to hold hands and guide them every step of the way. This would lessen the strain not only on myself, but I'm sure many, many people from all cities alike.

In short: +1
    Zycandos and Jaethor's karaoke rendition of 'I Feel Pretty'.

Jaethor goes solo with 'The Sound of Music'.

Minstrel Sharallin sings: "The lord of revenants is a withered man, sunken by age and evil. But his blood is sweet, say the young men - and they should know?"
    Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "((Stop breaking Akanbar.))"

Comment

Suggestion

right of the top of my head, I was wondering if maybe once a novice graduates from the island, there could be a little message that pops up to suggest help files that would be beneficial for the novice to read?

other than that I think this is a marvelous idea.

I give my thumbs up!
      Seig is rather Dashing and Charming no?

Dashing Seig says, "We should run an ass slapping train on dat phat booty"
      2240/2240h 280/280m 58xp >
      Words to Live By:
      "I dont assume to understand women" -Sir Magnum Veritan 2016
      "...and RNGesus hates me cause I don't believe in him so..." -myself 2016

Comment

Can I suggest something that helps explain the curing system? I found that was what I had the most trouble with during my novice years anyhow.
        Hi. I don't have anything interesting or funny to put here, so I just left a generic placeholder till I do. Bye!

Comment

Originally posted by Alaxandria View Post
          Can I suggest something that helps explain the curing system? I found that was what I had the most trouble with during my novice years anyhow.
          I think HELP APOTHECARIES gives enough information. Sure, someone will need to go through and explain to you the intricacies of maintaining pipes, and things like the hidden salve balance, but that's part of the learning process - finding someone capable and willing to take you under their wing. Not an easy feat, given the sort of era we're in now, but eh.

This would go well with the suggestion of a list of recommended reading.
          Zycandos and Jaethor's karaoke rendition of 'I Feel Pretty'.

Jaethor goes solo with 'The Sound of Music'.

Minstrel Sharallin sings: "The lord of revenants is a withered man, sunken by age and evil. But his blood is sweet, say the young men - and they should know?"
          Jaethor, God of Enlightenment tells you, "((Stop breaking Akanbar.))"

Comment

I think this is a great Idea. I would even suggest allowing the hints/tips to continue past novice hood. I just recently got off the island and although I think things are going pretty well, some things could be made easier. Though, I imagine some of the confusion might be cleared up in the help files, which, I have not fully read.

Comment

I would only keep the hints for novicehood as after novicehood, when things become challenging, it separates the people. Those who are able to solve things, be it through becoming the best in politics, war or geography are those who have earned it. If there were hints tipping you off on how to best use politics or hints where villages could be found, exploring would become a lot duller and easier.
              Tick tock goes the clock until you feel my ire. You'll lose your voice and turn to rock and lose what you desire.

Comment

Working...
              X