Greets all,

After the last competition, I realized that not all players knew too much about interacting with NPCs and/or events. I'm hoping people will see this blog post and learn how to more efficiently use their time so that they're not standing in front of an npc, talking at it and getting frustrated when it doesn't respond.

How do I initiate a conversation with an NPC?
Swell question, Jim. The issue is that while Jaethor may be omnipresent, I am not. If you're using SAY in front of an NPC, I don't hear anything, otherwise I'd go insane(r) with all the chatter at each city's centre and the Phoenix Folly Inn. The best way to start a conversation with an NPC is to use TELL. If you had a burning question about the color of Beluthra's bloomers, use
TELL BELUTHRA TAKE OFF YOUR PANTS PLEASE
. Alternatively, if you didn't want to look like the creepy mortal you are, you could just use
TELL BELUTHRA Good day, how do you do?
and maybe you'll end up with the same results.

How do I get an event approved?
There are two routes you can take. If you're unsure on if your idea will crash and burn, you can talk to me personally in tells. Otherwise, just start chatting up NPCS! Don't go off emoting at thin air and get huffy that I didn't make a dragon (NO) appear.

What makes a good event?
Events can span from something as small as "I want Beluthra to get a pint with me, then go back to normal" to "I want to rally the old Elysian Republic villages to go to war with the old Golgonian Empire villages." One spans an hour, one spans potentially weeks, indefinitely. But there are times when I'll take a look at an event and just flat out say no. Here are some big causes players slip up on:
  • It's better to create than to destroy. Destroying a village/feature will probably result in a no. Changing that village/feature is a better option.
  • The event is much too OP. You aren't going to be able to destroy Ysallyra or the Templars guild.
  • It involves dragons. Seriously, I cannot stress how much I hate dragons. It's made all that much worse when players say 'Whoa, let's make a giant monster. Dragon.' Have some imagination, guys...
  • Prolonged combat in a city, let alone unavoidable combat, isn't A-OK. Cities are safe havens, especially to people who don't want to fight.
  • Guild tutors. They fall under The Special NPC Exclusion Act of year 294. But really, tutors don't get touched unless it's a very very short event and I'm feeling nice. Novices not being able to find their tutor causes a lot of problems.

If there are any questions or comments, please feel free to add them here. I think the main takeaway is that NPCs respond the best when sent tells, not says. After contact is initiated, use all the says you want (until after they say bye, cause I'll probably wander off in search of a snack then).